Report: Lakers willing to offer Bynum, World Peace for Howard, if he will stay in L.A.

Jul 3, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Dwight Howard still has some leverage over in where he gets traded.

Not because the Magic give a rat’s a** what he wants, if they could trade him to a team from Siberia in the Russian league they would do it. Rather it’s because he can walk away as a free agent next summer from wherever he gets traded if he wants.

There are teams that might make a good offer for Howard if he would agree to sign an extension. Like, say, the Lakers. Check out this tweet from Jarrod Rudolph, who writes for Real GM and is well connected in Orlando.

Source: Lakers are prepared to offer the Andrew Bynum and Metta World Peace to the Magic for Dwight Howard provided Howard signs extension… I’m told the Magic will include Jason Richardson in any deal for Dwight Howard.

The second part of that I’m sure is true — they want to ship Richardson or Hedo Turkoglu out with this deal. And while Richardson makes less per year he has a longer deal and is due more money in total.

But the extension… that’s not going to happen. Not exactly. First off, even if Howard decided he wanted to re-sign with the Lakers he would become a free agent then re-sign under Bird rights because he would get more money and more years. (It’s what Chris Paul is doing, he can sign an extension now for three years and $60 million or become a free agent after next season and re-sign with the Clippers for five years $105 million. Easy call.)

Howard has been dead-set against coming to the Lakers through the process. Reportedly it starts with Howard not wanting to follow in Shaquille O’Neal’s footsteps from Orlando to Los Angeles. But multiple reports also say Howard was turned off by a phone conversation with Kobe Bryant last year where Kobe allegedly said Howard would be the third offensive option on the Lakers (behind Kobe and Pau Gasol). He essentially said he would be the Lakers Tyson Chandler, or that’s how it was perceived. Howard wants to be the star where he goes.

So don’t bet on the Lakers winning this battle.

But the sweepstakes is on for Howard, and he still has a little control over the process.

1. cantonbound13 - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Where else can you get Worldpeace and Superman included in the same transaction than in David Stern’s fixed NBA?

• skids003 - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Two morons for one turd, sounds fair to me.

• ccshocktalk - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM

So, I’m in the middle of a business call and I read this comment, and I start laughing out loud on the phone…thanks!

• teambringitstrong - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Useless comments that only require cyber-courage.

2. jolink653 - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM

dwight is pretty much out of options this point since there really isn’t any realistic shot he gets to brooklyn now…he might need to suck it up and OK a deal to the lakers since there really isn’t any other major market for him to be THE star in now…not that it will make people hate him any less at this point though

• addictedzone - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Actually Dwight is full of options after next season. If he really wants to go to Brooklyn, he should play out his remaining year wherever it finds him and then go to the Nets. That way the Nets lose nothing in trade and still get him. A major upgrade without sacrificing current talent.

• mitchrapp1 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM

contract wise that wont work, unless DH wants to play for the veteran minimum.

• bougin89 - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM

The Nets no longer have cap space after next season especially after they resign Brook Lopez. The only way they can acquire Dwight Howard is through a trade and even next summer if Dwight plays out his contract they would have to sign and trade for him and would have to trade salaries that would equal close to the max contract Dwight will get. I doubt Dwight doesn’t get traded by Orlando but if he doesn’t the Orlando won’t take on big contracts to fullfill his desire to go to the Nets next summer unless they get basically the same deal they are being offered now, Lopez and other pieces along with multiple 1st round picks.

• jolink653 - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM

i meant right now at this point in time…no way brooklyn can afford him and at the rate they’re bringing players in they wouldn’t be able to afford him as a free agent so you can close the door on that…he talked himself into a corner by making it known that brooklyn is the only team he would sign an extension with and now that that option is off the table he has no other option other than to agree to sign an extension with another team

• 24thesho - Jul 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Actually, Dwight Howard is just full of sh*t.

3. ccshocktalk - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Dwight Howard can dunk a basketball yes, but he doesn’t have offensive skills…so why wouldn’t he be third to Kobe and Pau?

And can someone please tell me why they can’t trade him to a Russian Billionaire organization in Siberia, seriously, they do it in baseball why can’t they do it in the NBA?

4. Mr. Wright 212 - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Just get rid of him, if he doesn’t re-up wherever you trade him, big deal. You’re done with the guy.

5. paulhargis53 - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Bynum and Artest? Are you dry shavin me? They seriously think that’s enough?
    Wait, its all they got. Gasol is old and has a bloated contract. The rest of the team is a bunch of never weres or past their primes. And there sits Kobe on a pile of $ wondering why they can’t get any better and will forever be stuck on 5 rings.

Couldn’t happen to a better fanbase. The exits in the 1st round start this year.

• themars211 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

How miserable must your existence be for you to take pleasure in thought or “possibility” of the Lakers taking a step back. Deep inside you are probably a closet Laker fan and don’t know how to express it. Its okay 16 banners and 5 rings for Kobe must be blinding you. Get over it!!!

• loungefly74 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM

i don’t know who is worse…this clown or progress2011. yeah…it’s scary and very concerning how much effort they put in to hating on a team…and both of them NEVER mention who their team is or say anything that is not pessimistic about any team. so…by their comments…they hate a lot of teams, think the NBA is a farce, disgusted by several players, etc, BUT still continue to patrol PBT, watch games, and pay attention to teams/players they hate…yeah, mental? Bingo.

and I love the “stuck on 5 ring” comment. oh what a horrible situation!

• adfranco - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Glad someone is bringing this up. All this Paul dude does in every PBT, even if it has very little to do with the Lakers, is bring up their age and financial situation. Get a life! Tell me which team you root for please. If the NBA ended tomorrow, I think most Laker fans would be satisfied with 16 championships, repeat 16!!!

• progress2011 - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Ahahahahaha….you SCRUBS, mentioning me and I haven’t even drilled you on this article yet !

My team is ANY team that spanks the plastic lakers. Just know, I’m posting this from the local gravel company that supplies me with the salt to rub in your wounds, everytime the OVER-RATED, lakers lose.

In the checkout line now…I will apply salt later !!! ahahahahah

• badintent - Jul 5, 2012 at 2:40 AM

You & fly74 don’t get it ! We like the Lakers, it’s Kobe we can’t stand. He got Shaq to quit on him( and lose another 3 rings , played the race card when he got busted in Colorado, punched his own team mate Sasha at practice( should have known from AI practice ain’t mean sh*t), demanded to be traded to Chicago,and wouldn’t listen to a great coach, Mr. Jackson, the list goes on and on and on. He’s a clown and ballhogg Boss.He cost the Lakers to lose to Detroit with his Jack city ball heaves. My team is the Knicks and we got a kobe clone called Melo. you want him on Lakers too.? Take him ! Nice locker room fights with Kobe over shots. Bring back Magic, Worthy and Cooper.Class guys on the court, no arrests off it.( oh, worthy got busted for some trim , got tired of groupies, ha )

• loungefly74 - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM

@badintent…fine…whatever…hate kobe. i don’t expect you to be a fan of him especially since you are a knicks fan. but i can tell you that true Laker fans love kobe. the success the team has had during his tenure is indeniable. i root for all Laker players.
        @progress…you say, “My team is ANY team that spanks the plastic lakers.”…that says a lot about you. you don’t have a team and only hope for the Lakers to lose? damn…you just reek of being pathetic.

• loungefly74 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM

so…what do you think your team would be willing to give up to get Howard?

• progress2011 - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Paul…

You have gotten the 50-70 delirious laker fans stirred up….ahahahaha !!! They are patrolling EVERY blog on the internet, craving, begging and praying for the writers to give them any glimmer of hope.

I respect your truth telling.

We all know L.A. is the city of plastic folk. We recently flew into L.A., visited some of my old military buddies in Palo Alto. From the time the plane landed to the time we departed, EVERYONE we met (from the dude working at the gas station to the waitress) was:
      1. Working on a movie
      2. Working on an album
      3. or name dropping someone famous, they supposedly knew

I see the same phony similarities whenever I watch a laker game. The criminal rapist, typically looks for a camera to make a tough guy face or pound his chest after he hits one shot after missing the previous 5….ahahahahaha

The Fan(atical), crazed laker fans that post here want to know why I personally dislike them. I dislike any criminal dude, that feels he has to rape a woman to prove he is tough! Consequently, I dislike the franchise that has employed him!!!

DEAL WIT IT !!!

6. ch8878 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Andrew Bynum and Metta World Peace contracts are up after this year to I’m sure the Lakers would be willing to do this trade the Magic will just way there options till July 11.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM

All the more reason why Orlando SHOULD do it, especially when they can amnesty Ron and re-signing Bynum can anchor them in the future. Bynum won’t ever go back to LA, unlike Shack and Dawhite, and I doubt he would ever come home the tri-state, where he would REALLY get roasted if he played the way he has at times the past two seasons.

• bougin89 - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Maybe I’m reading your comment wrong but Orlando can not amnesty Artest if they traded for him for multiple reasons.

• jolink653 - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

orlando already amnestied gilbert arenas last offseason so they won’t be able to amnesty someone else now

• marksp18 - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM

They already amnestied Gilbert Arenas. Also, even if they could that cannot amnesty Artest because he was not under contract with them BEFORE the new CBA was signed.

Nothing like having the facts though.

7. loungefly74 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I’m sure Orlando would glady take this deal over any other currently offered…if Howard gave the “thumbs up”. Orlando would receive the 2nd best center in the league and a lockdown D veteran…

8. dalucks - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM

As a Laker fan, I would rather have Bynum’s bad knee and Metta’s antics instead of Dwight’s immaturity and bad back. When will Laker fan open their eyes to the real problem named Mitch Kupchak. As long as Steve Blake is making 4 million and Josh McRoberts is making 3.5 million and neither average over 8 points a game is a huge issue.
    Also, he traded the 24th Pick in the 2012 Draft for a Ramon Sessions rental then selects C Robert Scarce with the 60th pick when he could have drafted PG Scott Machado. That guy has needed to be fired years ago after he gave Luke Walton a 30 million dollar contract.

• mitchrapp1 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I totally agree with the Mitch Kupchak and PG Scott Machado comment. He’s hasn’t made a substanial good move since he’s been the GM; wasted picks on tomato cans (Scarce) and/or traded picks away. But I like D. Howard over Bynum 1 reason; Howard way more athletic and seems comfortable in his frame. Bynum seems akward and lacks the mental side of the game. That being said Kobe should call DH and make this thing right. Kobe as great as he is, is on the decline and needs a superstar to continue to carry the franchise. This is bigger than him.

I wouldn’t give up Metta either since he’s the one player that offers toughness, DH is kinda soft. The package should be Bynum, Blake, McRoberts and another one of the Lakers’ tomatoe cans since they will want to package DH with the Hedo or J. Richardson contracts.

• tsi431 - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM

To be honest, if Sessions didn’t flop in the playoffs the Lakers probably would of resigned him and a late 1st round pick is nothing to brag about.

I agree on the rest of your post though.

• mytthor - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Yeah, and for keeping Bynum over Jason Kidd! And for trading Gasol for Gasol. And why didn’t he give a big contract to Ariza?

Seriously? You’re going to call him out for drafting the “wrong guy” with the LAST PICK IN THE DRAFT? Has the 60th pick ever even produced a rotation player? I don’t know anything about college ball but I haven’t read a lot of “WHY DIDN’T THEY PICK SCOTT MACHADO?” articles.

9. kjereld615 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Are you serious with this deal? You’re asking Orlando to send one problem child for two? horrible deal! If I’m Orlando I’ll take this new reported deal from the Nets. You’ll be getting Marshon Brooks, Kris Humphries, Brook Lopez, and first round draft picks in 2013, 2015, 2017. I mean i don’t love the player but i do love the draft picks.

• mitchrapp1 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I’m a Laker fan but if I was a GM, those picks would be awfully enticing.

• ch8878 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Are you serious ?

The Nets are offering a bunch of players that aren’t under contract and 3 potential draft busts no thanks I prefer what the Hawks or Lakers are offering who knows what Houston is offering.

• loungefly74 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM

another way to spin that deal is: a guy who has social disasters, an oft-injured player, and a young guy still developing…and a bunch of possible late rd 1st pick…for D-12.

eye of the beholder. maybe the magic think the only true player they can anchor a team around is Bynum…but hey, who knows…there are lots of reasons to go in any direction.

• badintent - Jul 5, 2012 at 2:43 AM

you just jealous that 1, Kim ain’t doing you a video and 2, all Khris did was a double -double every night. Get real.

• loungefly74 - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM

yeah dude…not jealous. totally missed the point of what i was trying to convey…that you can spin any trade to look bad and good. Get real dude. sheesh.

10. kinggw - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Its great that the Lakers are willing to offer Bynum, but why would the Magic do a deal for Bynum unless he agrees to an extension? Bynum is on a one year deal like Howard, if the Magic trade for him without his agreement to re-up they will be in the same situation they are in now. Do your really believe that Bynum would agree to an extension with the soon to be rebuilding Magic? As of right now it appears that the Nets are still offering the best deal for Howard.

• tsi431 - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I can give you millions $$$ of reasons why Bynum don’t give a $h!t where he plays. He would finally be a star in Orlando on top of it. I personally would rather build Bynum up and hand the reins over to him in 2 years when Kobe’s contract is up.

• mytthor - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Being a Superstar in Orlando and being a secondary star in LA are about the same levels of fame.

11. paulhargis53 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:49 PM

ok guys:
    I don’t hate the teams. I don’t hate anyone. What I have said time and again is I detest the ignorance of the fanbases. Especially the Lakers. You don’t understand the $ end of basketball. You come up with outlandish trade scenarios that make the,Lakers world beaters and give nothing in return to the other teams. You keep your head in the sand and keep saying we’ve always got good players for the last 30vyears all the while refusing to accept the landscape has changed.
    The heat fans? They weren’t around until the big 3 arrived, now they are annoying.

Kobe Bryant is a pos as a human being. How you can cheer for a rapist is beyond me. I’m tired of hearing how he is the best ever, when he’s not even barely in the to 10. He’s like the 4th best Laker.

My team doesnt need a center. They have one. I was going to yell you my team, but it bothers you so much, that I’m not going to. Several titles in this franchise history though.

I think its funny that I don’t,agree with your,assessments, so I’m a miserable person. Didn’t realize I was being analyzed by trained professionals…..ugh.

I don’t hat Kobe by the way, great player, just not a good human being.

I do really enjoy the Laker fanbase worrying. Once Kobe is gone, years of mediocrity too follow.

Have a lovely 4th, I know I will. :-)

see, I can say something positive!

12. mojosmagic - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Why would anyone take an idiot like World Peace on their team?

• jimeejohnson - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Maybe they want to start the next Mega World War?

13. soundsofsuccess7 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM

screw that. metta is the Lakers second most valuable player. don’t want that douche anyways if he doesn’t want to play for LA. deal Gasol, resign Sessions, grab a rotational backup bigman and call it an offseason.

14. mikey1977 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Yeah I think Bynum would re-up in Orlando…by his own admission, he thought he’d be with the Magic to begin last season…..

15. fanz928 - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

The magic wants gasol bynum and mwp for hedo Dwight and jameer

• mytthor - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I want a Ferrari.

• jolink653 - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

so they want an oft-injured headcase, an player on the downside of his career with a bloated contract, and the nba’s worst headcase for a perennial defensive player of the year (even if he is a immature moron) and one of the nba’s better younger point guards…don’t see that happening

• mytthor - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM

One of the NBA’s better younger point guards. I assume that’s supposed to refer to Jameer Nelson?

A career 12 ppg scorer who is a year and a half younger than the “player on the downside of his career.” Who has one outlier OK season and a bunch of seasons that scream “solid backup point guard.” Oh, and it’s also tough to trade a free agent.

16. omniusprime - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

If the Lakers are stupid enough to trade Bynum & World Peace for Dipstick Howard then the Lakers lose. Keep Jason Richardson, that clown is a joke, a bad joke. The Lakers should shed WP and his too expensive contract but should keep Bynum and tell Howard he can stuff it where the sun don’t shine. The Lakers need to focus in on getting a premier young point guard before wasting time on anything else.

If Kupcake doesn’t get us Laker fans a point guard we can believe in then he should be shipped off to Portland before he can do any more damage to the Laker’s organization. Come to think of it he should have been shipped off anyway when that story first came up months ago.

• badintent - Jul 5, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Don’t hate Mitch, he’s just the messenger for Jimbo Buss. He runs the team lock , stock and barrel now another If you think mitch is bad, consider all the GMs that paid Darius Miles to play ball. Pathetic

17. lakerluver - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM

@paulhargis53,
    Dude, how many players in the history of the NBA can say they have FIVE rings? So, for you to say “Kobe is stuck on 5 rings” as if that’s a small feat, just shows your ignorance. I bet you every player in the league not named Derek Fisher would love to trade places with Kobe and be “stuck” on FIVE rings. And while I’m on a roll let me say this to you clowns who say Kobe should renegotiate his contract so the team can get him some help, hear me loud and clear, KOBE, OR NO OTHER PLAYER FOR THAT MATTER, CAN RENEGOTIATE THEIR CONTRACTS. This ain’t the NFL!!! As for this potential trade, I say do it only IF Howard agrees to stay longer than 1 season. I think in some respects Bynum is better than Howard. However, Bynum doesn’t come to play every game. Maybe as he matures that will change. But the LAKERS can’t waste Kobe’s last couple of “good” years hoping Bynum will mature.

18. wjmoffatt - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM

If you trade Dwight Howard to somewhere he doesn’t want to go, you are sending a message to all players that management doesn’t care about its players and they will never get any FAs to go to Orlando

• bougin89 - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

This comment is so ridiculously wrong on so many levels I don’t know where to begin.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

The main level it is wrong on is money talks! You offer a free agent enough jing and he’s there! Who could have imagined Shaq playing for the Celtics when he was winning those championships (with Kobe) in Los Angeles?

• ch8878 - Jul 3, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Then why in the NFL does players still go to Green Bay ?

Brett Favre wanted to go to the Vikings and Green Bay sent him to the Jets ( not that you can compare Howard to Favre) this would be the same thing.

The only reason Howard wants to go to the Nets because its a new arena in New York, next year he’ll be less interested.

19. teedraper - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Bitch we win EVERY battle…shut up HATER! Howard is a JOKE if he doesn’t want to come to LA

20. marksp18 - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I think the trade is a good trade for both teams. Orlando is not going to get anything close to Andrew Bynum in return. Brook Lopez does not rebound. They need a rebounder. MWP is asking a lot but the Lakers have to be taking back someone else too.

As a Lakers fan I would do it in a heartbeat even if D12 said he would not sign an extension. I would take my chances. I think the odds are pretty good that he will like playing in Staples Center. As for following Shaq, that is no big deal or shame at all. Shaw came after Kareem who came after Wilt. They did not complain.

Getting future picks from the Nets sounds nice but that is 1,3,&5 years from now and likely to be picks in the 20s. The GM may not even be there to make those picks. Plus Lopez has to agree to a sign and trade or else he could walk next year too.

If I am GM of Orlando I would be looking at Bynum too. That alone is a very good return on investment for Dwight.

The Lakers needs D12 for his defense most of all.

• camnellum12 - Jul 3, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Um, did you forget Bynum’s 10 block game (he tied with Hakeem and Eaton) in the 1st round? And he was 6th in BPG this past season. Dwight Howard is the better defender, but us Laker fans have to remember Dwight is coming off back-surgery, and severely injuring your back, the central point of your body, is no joke (I should know, I fractured my own back), he will lose some lift in his game (and he relies a lot on his athleticism too.)

Jim Buss, don’t do this deal. If you’re serious about Banner 17, renting Dwight for a year isn’t worth imploding the team. Fans rip Bynum for not being motivated, but how could Dwight be more motivated than Bynum would? D-12 knows he’s leaving LA and he wants to just play the season and leave. Drew was very childish this season, but he can be realizing that he could possibly become a legendary Laker center (among Mikan, Chamberlain, Kareem, and Shaq) if he improves his attitude and game. And as for Bynum’s knees, he got Orthokine Surgery and he’ll get his knee drained 3x a year, he’s taking care of his knees. Now he needs to show Laker fans he can be our future.

21. vstyle23 - Jul 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I live in Orlando and have seen D12 play. Exciting dunker yes but offensively not there. I’d do this move real quick. You get Defense and offense from Ron alone and better basketball player in Bynum. Bynum would beast here because he would be the man and that’s just what he wanted and couldn’t get from Kobe’s team the Lakers. They both have injuries now and Dwight and Kobe’s egos will explode. Either way itll be good tv and Orlando will be better for it

22. fanz928 - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Dwight needs to get stay calm and don’t sign nothing with lakers or anybody except the nets and he will get what he wants and brooklyn will be huge next year

23. censoredpost - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:43 PM

As a Laker fan I don’t want Howard. He is on the wrong side of 30. His low post game is limited and he has no range (for a big) at all. He is ever-recovering from what will be a constant back issue. He is a punk and a coach killer period. Bynum is what 24? While immature for 24 (he’s no Javalle MGee) he has show ability that Howard will never have, especially on O. On D Bynum has some laziness on rotations but 30 boards, 10 blocks…When/If Bynum settles in maturity wise he will be as dominant a center as any who have ever played. Howard has hit his ceiling and is kinda an Ahole. Id rather have Bynum.

• tbey23 - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Dwight Howard is only 26 clown.

• ballsohard88 - Jul 4, 2012 at 8:26 AM

First of all, Howards 26 not “on the worng side of 30″. Secondly, us Laker fans love our players. We rip on them again and again and again, but at the end of the day were loyal and hate trading or losing any of them. The thing is we have to look at the bigger picture here. The way to be the best is to beat the best, and right now the best teams are young fast and athletic as hell. We NEED Howard. We NEED a guy like Josh Smith. We don’t need gasol and bynum if we want to beat teams like OKC and Miami.

24. teedraper - Jul 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

LOL@progress! Calls the Lakers plastic & exposes himself as a plastic fan! LOLOLOL@the irony you POS!

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches