Jul 3, 2012, 9:53 PM EDT
While the gut reaction may be “no, there is only one basketball allowed on the court at any given time” the reality is these are two high hoops IQ players who would do whatever it takes to win another ring. And Kobe would get better looks.
While the thought of Nash in Lakers purple sickens Suns fans, the possibility is not out of the question, the Lakers have entered the chase for Nash, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com.
While the Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks have made strong pushes for free agent guard Steve Nash, the Los Angeles Lakers have, quietly, entered the fray for the 38-year-old guard and are making a strong bid to acquire him, according to a league source.
The Lakers, with a payroll already projected in excess of $83 million next season, would only be able to offer Nash an exception starting at $3.09 million for next season. It’s unlikely Nash would take that, so a sign-and-trade deal would be a more realistic possibility.
The deal would likely involve something like Ramon Sessions and Metta World Peace, the report suggests. But basically anyone on the Lakers roster not named Kobe, Gasol and Bynum could be had in this deal.
Still, Nash to the Lakers strikes me as a long shot because you have to imagine other sign-and-trade offers will be better. For Suns fans who might covet Gasol, you’d have to send a whole lot more back to Los Angeles than just Nash in that case, and Jared Dudley ani’t gonna to cut it.
Toronto has made a big push for Nash and it is expected the Mavericks will make a hard run at him now after losing out on Deron Williams.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 11
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 23
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 63
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65