Jul 3, 2012, 9:53 PM EDT
While the gut reaction may be “no, there is only one basketball allowed on the court at any given time” the reality is these are two high hoops IQ players who would do whatever it takes to win another ring. And Kobe would get better looks.
While the thought of Nash in Lakers purple sickens Suns fans, the possibility is not out of the question, the Lakers have entered the chase for Nash, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com.
While the Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks have made strong pushes for free agent guard Steve Nash, the Los Angeles Lakers have, quietly, entered the fray for the 38-year-old guard and are making a strong bid to acquire him, according to a league source.
The Lakers, with a payroll already projected in excess of $83 million next season, would only be able to offer Nash an exception starting at $3.09 million for next season. It’s unlikely Nash would take that, so a sign-and-trade deal would be a more realistic possibility.
The deal would likely involve something like Ramon Sessions and Metta World Peace, the report suggests. But basically anyone on the Lakers roster not named Kobe, Gasol and Bynum could be had in this deal.
Still, Nash to the Lakers strikes me as a long shot because you have to imagine other sign-and-trade offers will be better. For Suns fans who might covet Gasol, you’d have to send a whole lot more back to Los Angeles than just Nash in that case, and Jared Dudley ani’t gonna to cut it.
Toronto has made a big push for Nash and it is expected the Mavericks will make a hard run at him now after losing out on Deron Williams.
- Ginobili, Duncan, Popovich dance around questions about Spurs’ future 0
- Reports: Stephen Curry to be named MVP Monday 26
- Hawks start hot, finish cold, Wizards take Game 1 on road 104-98. 6
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 4
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 2
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 20
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 28
- Report: Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy won’t be suspended for Game 1 against Cavaliers 22