Jul 3, 2012, 3:25 PM EST
Dallas reportedly offered more money per year but only a two-year deal, Terry decided to take the extra year.
The question now is now does this signing of a two-guard sixth man influence Ray Allen‘s decision. Boston still wants him back, and has offered him more money than any other location, but if he wants more minutes this isn’t going to draw him back to Boston.
2:49 pm: The Boston Celtics offense needs a boost — they were 27th in the league in points per possession last season. (If you are frightened by the NBA’s new math the Celtics were 26th in points per game.)
Jason Terry would help that. A lot. And the Celtics may be close to inking the former Sixth Man of the Year from Dallas, tweets Marc Spears of Yahoo.
Celtics are in final discussions on terms of a multi-year deal with Mavericks free agent guard Jason Terry, sources tells Yahoo! Sports.
The offer is reportedly for the mid-level exception — $5 million a year for three years.
As we told you before, Terry has told the Mavericks he would give them a chance to match any offer. He likely goes back to them with whatever Boston puts on the table.
Terry averaged 15.1 points per game on 37 percent shooting from three last year. He is a guy fully capable of lighting it up on a given night. If the Celtics keep Avery Bradley as the starter Terry would be a big upgrade off the bench because he can knock down threes and create his own shot.
As Spears notes, the Celtics still would want to bring back Ray Allen. But would he return if he sees his role shrinking? The Celtics are offering more money, but would Allen take less money for more minutes and a chance to chase a ring in Miami? Do the Clippers become an option?
Lots of questions without answers right now, starting with would Dallas match the Terry offer?
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14