Jul 3, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT
Dallas reportedly offered more money per year but only a two-year deal, Terry decided to take the extra year.
The question now is now does this signing of a two-guard sixth man influence Ray Allen‘s decision. Boston still wants him back, and has offered him more money than any other location, but if he wants more minutes this isn’t going to draw him back to Boston.
2:49 pm: The Boston Celtics offense needs a boost — they were 27th in the league in points per possession last season. (If you are frightened by the NBA’s new math the Celtics were 26th in points per game.)
Jason Terry would help that. A lot. And the Celtics may be close to inking the former Sixth Man of the Year from Dallas, tweets Marc Spears of Yahoo.
Celtics are in final discussions on terms of a multi-year deal with Mavericks free agent guard Jason Terry, sources tells Yahoo! Sports.
The offer is reportedly for the mid-level exception — $5 million a year for three years.
As we told you before, Terry has told the Mavericks he would give them a chance to match any offer. He likely goes back to them with whatever Boston puts on the table.
Terry averaged 15.1 points per game on 37 percent shooting from three last year. He is a guy fully capable of lighting it up on a given night. If the Celtics keep Avery Bradley as the starter Terry would be a big upgrade off the bench because he can knock down threes and create his own shot.
As Spears notes, the Celtics still would want to bring back Ray Allen. But would he return if he sees his role shrinking? The Celtics are offering more money, but would Allen take less money for more minutes and a chance to chase a ring in Miami? Do the Clippers become an option?
Lots of questions without answers right now, starting with would Dallas match the Terry offer?
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28