Jul 3, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
But he likely is still on an NBA roster next season. Maybe a very good one.
Thabeet is probably a lock to sign with the Thunder. In terms of free agent splashes, Thabeet doesn’t even qualify as a ripple.
So why take him? Because he’s 7’3” and young, and you can get him for less than $1 million for the season. If he sits on the end of the bench, so what? But if he pans out in the hard-working, peer pressure environment of the Thunder, they could have another steal.
Thabeet was good at UConn and was seen as a project with potential when drafted. So far that potential has not panned out, but big men can take a while to develop. He goes into a new situation, new work ethic, new locker room and who knows.
It would be a solid gamble.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3