Jul 3, 2012, 6:43 PM EST
But he likely is still on an NBA roster next season. Maybe a very good one.
Thabeet is probably a lock to sign with the Thunder. In terms of free agent splashes, Thabeet doesn’t even qualify as a ripple.
So why take him? Because he’s 7’3” and young, and you can get him for less than $1 million for the season. If he sits on the end of the bench, so what? But if he pans out in the hard-working, peer pressure environment of the Thunder, they could have another steal.
Thabeet was good at UConn and was seen as a project with potential when drafted. So far that potential has not panned out, but big men can take a while to develop. He goes into a new situation, new work ethic, new locker room and who knows.
It would be a solid gamble.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13