Jul 3, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
But he likely is still on an NBA roster next season. Maybe a very good one.
Thabeet is probably a lock to sign with the Thunder. In terms of free agent splashes, Thabeet doesn’t even qualify as a ripple.
So why take him? Because he’s 7’3” and young, and you can get him for less than $1 million for the season. If he sits on the end of the bench, so what? But if he pans out in the hard-working, peer pressure environment of the Thunder, they could have another steal.
Thabeet was good at UConn and was seen as a project with potential when drafted. So far that potential has not panned out, but big men can take a while to develop. He goes into a new situation, new work ethic, new locker room and who knows.
It would be a solid gamble.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 18
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23