Jul 3, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
But he likely is still on an NBA roster next season. Maybe a very good one.
Thabeet is probably a lock to sign with the Thunder. In terms of free agent splashes, Thabeet doesn’t even qualify as a ripple.
So why take him? Because he’s 7’3” and young, and you can get him for less than $1 million for the season. If he sits on the end of the bench, so what? But if he pans out in the hard-working, peer pressure environment of the Thunder, they could have another steal.
Thabeet was good at UConn and was seen as a project with potential when drafted. So far that potential has not panned out, but big men can take a while to develop. He goes into a new situation, new work ethic, new locker room and who knows.
It would be a solid gamble.
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 0
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 5
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 30
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 9
- Clippers put on offensive showcase, take Game 1 vs. Spurs 10