Jul 3, 2012, 8:02 AM EDT
The Clippers need a two guard who can help them diversify their offense (we saw what happened when the Spurs stifled Chris Paul in the playoffs, it wasn’t pretty). Jamal Crawford can do that, even if last year’s Crawford should not be confused with the Sixth Man of the Year version.
On another note, Paul really wants Chauncey Billups back with the team next year. Yes, Billups blew out his Achilles at age 35, but Paul wants him back.
So the Clippers are going to make offers to both of them, reports the Los Angeles Times.
The Clippers plan to offer Crawford the mid-level exception that starts at $5 million. The Clippers are willing to offer Crawford, a 6-foot-5 guard, at least a three-year deal, sources said.
The Clippers also are planning to offer a contract to Chauncey Billups, sources said. Billups, who is recovering from a torn left Achilles’ tendon injury, will get a one-year offer from the Clippers for about $4 million, sources said.
The Clippers have added Lamar Odom to help out with the front line. If they get Crawford and we see Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan and the rest of the Clippers step up their game we may be saying “Pacific Division champion” Clippers. That said, we should note that Crawford’s game has come back to earth after winning Sixth Man of the Year a couple years ago, last season he shot just 38.4 percent and 30 percent from three, with a PER at the league average of 15.7. At age 32, do you want to do a three year deal?
Of course, the real question for the Clippers should be: Is that enough to keep CP3 and get him to sign long-term with the Clippers next summer? We will see, but that is the question that should be asked about every move the Clippers make for the next year, from what to do with coach Vinny Del Negro on down.
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 32
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 14
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 19
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 1
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 14