Jul 3, 2012, 8:02 AM EDT
The Clippers need a two guard who can help them diversify their offense (we saw what happened when the Spurs stifled Chris Paul in the playoffs, it wasn’t pretty). Jamal Crawford can do that, even if last year’s Crawford should not be confused with the Sixth Man of the Year version.
On another note, Paul really wants Chauncey Billups back with the team next year. Yes, Billups blew out his Achilles at age 35, but Paul wants him back.
So the Clippers are going to make offers to both of them, reports the Los Angeles Times.
The Clippers plan to offer Crawford the mid-level exception that starts at $5 million. The Clippers are willing to offer Crawford, a 6-foot-5 guard, at least a three-year deal, sources said.
The Clippers also are planning to offer a contract to Chauncey Billups, sources said. Billups, who is recovering from a torn left Achilles’ tendon injury, will get a one-year offer from the Clippers for about $4 million, sources said.
The Clippers have added Lamar Odom to help out with the front line. If they get Crawford and we see Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan and the rest of the Clippers step up their game we may be saying “Pacific Division champion” Clippers. That said, we should note that Crawford’s game has come back to earth after winning Sixth Man of the Year a couple years ago, last season he shot just 38.4 percent and 30 percent from three, with a PER at the league average of 15.7. At age 32, do you want to do a three year deal?
Of course, the real question for the Clippers should be: Is that enough to keep CP3 and get him to sign long-term with the Clippers next summer? We will see, but that is the question that should be asked about every move the Clippers make for the next year, from what to do with coach Vinny Del Negro on down.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30