Jul 3, 2012, 8:02 AM EST
The Clippers need a two guard who can help them diversify their offense (we saw what happened when the Spurs stifled Chris Paul in the playoffs, it wasn’t pretty). Jamal Crawford can do that, even if last year’s Crawford should not be confused with the Sixth Man of the Year version.
On another note, Paul really wants Chauncey Billups back with the team next year. Yes, Billups blew out his Achilles at age 35, but Paul wants him back.
So the Clippers are going to make offers to both of them, reports the Los Angeles Times.
The Clippers plan to offer Crawford the mid-level exception that starts at $5 million. The Clippers are willing to offer Crawford, a 6-foot-5 guard, at least a three-year deal, sources said.
The Clippers also are planning to offer a contract to Chauncey Billups, sources said. Billups, who is recovering from a torn left Achilles’ tendon injury, will get a one-year offer from the Clippers for about $4 million, sources said.
The Clippers have added Lamar Odom to help out with the front line. If they get Crawford and we see Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan and the rest of the Clippers step up their game we may be saying “Pacific Division champion” Clippers. That said, we should note that Crawford’s game has come back to earth after winning Sixth Man of the Year a couple years ago, last season he shot just 38.4 percent and 30 percent from three, with a PER at the league average of 15.7. At age 32, do you want to do a three year deal?
Of course, the real question for the Clippers should be: Is that enough to keep CP3 and get him to sign long-term with the Clippers next summer? We will see, but that is the question that should be asked about every move the Clippers make for the next year, from what to do with coach Vinny Del Negro on down.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)