Jul 3, 2012, 11:59 PM EDT
The initial reports did not sound good, but sometimes injuries are not as bad as they first appear.
Anthony Davis’ ankle injury was not as severe as first reported and he will attend the USA Basketball Olympic training camp in Las Vegas starting later this week, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
It is unclear how soon Davis will be able to get on the court, but Team USA will be patient to give him time to heal sprained ankle…. Said a source: “The injury isn’t as bad as originally thought. (Davis) really wants to play.” Davis will report to Team USA on Wednesday.
While Team USA needs size up front — big men Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge, Chris Bosh and Lamar Odom have all had to withdraw for physical reasons — Davis is still a long shot to make the team. It is more likely Team USA will bring in a more seasoned Blake Griffin over Davis.
Plus, in international ball where teams tend to go small, coach Mike Krzyzewski can use LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony at the four whenever he wants. Well, except against Spain and Brazil. And even then, LeBron at the four would be a matchup nightmare for international teams the way it was for NBA teams this past season.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 8
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 18
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6