Jul 2, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
To me, the question is what Jamal Crawford are you getting? Is it the 2010 version that was a feared gunner and Sixth Man of the Year who averaged 18 points a game, shot 38 percent from three and changed a contest when he stepped on the floor? Or, is it the 2012 version that could not find a fit in Portland, scored 14 points a game but shot just 38.4 percent overall and 10 percent from three?
At least six teams think they can get the 2010 version back at age 32 and jumped into the bidding process as soon as the free agency bell rang, reports Chris Hayes at CSNNW.com.
The Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics, and Indiana Pacers were the teams to contact unrestricted free agent Jamal Crawford as soon as July 1 hit, according to a person very close to the situation.
And I was just informed that the Minnesota Timberwolves called Crawford’s representatives as well.
Crawford opted out of a $5 million deal with the Blazers for next season to enter free agency. He’s not likely to make a lot more than that but can get the security of three or four years, depending on the offers.
On the court, Crawford would make a lot of sense with all those teams. Philly is looking for the next Lou Williams (another free agent), while every one of those other teams could use a two guard, maybe as a starter.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50