Jul 2, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT
Do that in a contract year and you get paid… even if you’re not going to get paid as much as you think you should. Then again, who among us does get paid what we think we’re worth?
The Rockets want to keep Dragic, but they likely have to move Lowry to do it because Dragic has other suitors, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
A source close to free-agent point guard Goran Dragic said the Raptors, Suns, Nets, Hornets, Lakers and Rockets have all expressed interest. The Rockets, for whom Dragic shined in the second half of last season, are said to be coming on the strongest. But Dragic, according to the source, has a serious interest in being part of a winning team and will consider that factor as much as the money. The source made it clear, however, that Dragic expects to be a starter for whichever team he joins.
The Rockets are looking to move Lowry, who said he was unhappy with coach Kevin McHale, but have not yet found a deal they like.
In the end, as always, this will come down to money. There are whispers that Dragic wants $10 million a year. So do I. About the same chance of it happening. The Lakers could provide a chance to be on a winning team but they can only offer $3 million per year. The Nets, Suns and Raptors can all offer more, but they will not be as good (the Nets are in flux, who knows what their roster looks like).
Best bet is he ends up back in Houston. But he has some leverage now in these talks.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 12
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36