Report: Rockets, Lakers among teams interested in Dragic

Jul 2, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT

Rodrigue Beaubois, Goran Dragic AP

When Kyle Lowry went down last season in Houston, backup point guard Goran Dragic stepped up and the Rockets barely missed a beat.

Do that in a contract year and you get paid… even if you’re not going to get paid as much as you think you should. Then again, who among us does get paid what we think we’re worth?

The Rockets want to keep Dragic, but they likely have to move Lowry to do it because Dragic has other suitors, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.

A source close to free-agent point guard Goran Dragic said the Raptors, Suns, Nets, Hornets, Lakers and Rockets have all expressed interest. The Rockets, for whom Dragic shined in the second half of last season, are said to be coming on the strongest. But Dragic, according to the source, has a serious interest in being part of a winning team and will consider that factor as much as the money. The source made it clear, however, that Dragic expects to be a starter for whichever team he joins.

The Rockets are looking to move Lowry, who said he was unhappy with coach Kevin McHale, but have not yet found a deal they like.

In the end, as always, this will come down to money. There are whispers that Dragic wants $10 million a year. So do I. About the same chance of it happening. The Lakers could provide a chance to be on a winning team but they can only offer $3 million per year. The Nets, Suns and Raptors can all offer more, but they will not be as good (the Nets are in flux, who knows what their roster looks like).

Best bet is he ends up back in Houston. But he has some leverage now in these talks.

1. paulhargis53 - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM

The Lakers can show all the interest they want in these guys, no one is coming in for 3 mil per that’s worth anything. You are stuck with a roster that sees a 2nd round exit at best. Gasol is not going to fetch anything but a bad contract and so so players talent wise. Learn to live with it.

• purplerain53 - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I don’t understand this 55 thumbs down?
      The guy is telling you the truth. I am Lakers fan, but I don’t see how this team can get better, when Kobe takes 43% of the entire team salary, when Pau Gasol makes a lot more than LeBron, R.Westbrook, K.Durant, D.Ross and… the list can go on and on.We can not get anything good of the trade of Pau Gasol. Anything at all. You have to realize it. Living in a Dream World won’t make you feel better. The reality is too painfull and we all have to accept it.
      This current situation is a result of careless spendings of Dr.Buss and bad management in the last decade. That is the truth.It is not Kobe’s fault, that he is going to take that much money at a moment, when he is not even 50% of the Kobe, we all know. It is Jerry Buss’ fault. It is Jerry Buss’ fault also, that he agreed to that “No Trade” clause in Kobe’s contract.Why you have to do that? Kobe still has some value in this days and we could trade him for a package of several good players and 1-st round pics. That is how you rebuild your team.By taking cheeper but with no talent FA’s likeKkapono, Murphy, McRoberts will not make this team any better.
      Hopefully, Jimmy will do a better job on this. So far,it looks like he is not going to repeat his father’s mistakes and that is a good thing.

2. soundsofsuccess7 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM

give me sessions over dragic but I’d have no complaints with dragic.

3. chadinkc30 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I love how people think Gasol is worthless, but was enough to fetch Paul, & was enough for teams like Atlanta, Houston, & Minnesota to keep throwing trade offers for! Hate much……?

4. paulhargis53 - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I never said he was worthless. I said they won’t get much in return for him. He’s soon to be 32 and is owed around 30 some million dollars over the next 2 years. You aren’t going to get a value trade for him.
    Just because people honestly asess your team, doesn’t make us haters. I’m a realist, you should try it sometime.
    Any trade of Gasol will make the team worse because you won’t get anything better in return.

• caseybojangles - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

$30M in the next 2 years???? try nearly $40M!!!

don’t worry man…some people get that basketball is a business and others like chad think that the nba is a non profit and all the players play for free…

5. stadix093 - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Well I will admit the future looks scary. Having said that, a perk of being a Laker fan is we can trust our management. Dragic would be nice but we can’t afford em.

6. rocketsbb - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Rockets HAVE to keep goran, match whatever the lakers have to offer.

7. themanchine - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Lowry, Kevin Martin + for Howard

8. chadinkc30 - Jul 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Ya people like Chad see people trading for overpaid players like Joe Johnson, and constantly sign older players like Kevin Garnett, & Steve Nash for $12 mil a yr, & throw out max contracts to player!s like Roy Hibbert! So ya I don’t know nearly as much about business as you…

9. paulhargis53 - Jul 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Yeah people like Chad don’t understand that the nets gave up garbage for Johnson. They don’t understand that Garnett took a 10 mil a year paycut to,stay in Boston. They don’t understand that Kobe is responsible for 43.5% of the salary cap. You trade Gasol, you get garbage back.
    You Laker fans can keep your head in the sand, that’s fine. With Kobes monstor contract, you are screwed until he retires.

• loungefly74 - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM

yeah…making the playoffs every year…with a shot at the title every year…yeah…the Lakers are screwed.

man…you are weird. what is your beef? I have yet to hear one positive thing from you about any team. according to you, every team sucks. what is your team by the way? i have asked you this a few times and you never give a team. why do you even watch the NBA? all you do is complain…about everything! the heat win the title and you say they suck and won’t be back next year? really? they will contend…i dont know about winning but they will contend. you just a have a very weird stance. i’m afraid to know other aspects of your life…(probably has 1,000 guns, a fully stocked nuclear fallout shelter, etc…) sheesh man…lighten up!

10. paulhargis53 - Jul 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM

You obviously don’t understand the salary cap and luxury tax ramifications.

How some teams have mire $ available than others.

You’re just a homer laker fan that is blind to the facts.

11. 00maltliquor - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:16 AM

After all the white guys the Lakers have been obsessing over and stockpiling, finally they’re eyeing one with something that resembles talent!

12. lalfan2323 - Jul 3, 2012 at 6:32 AM

We dont have a chance to get him why post this

13. paulhargis53 - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I never said the Heat suck. I said the same thing you did, that I don’t think they will win it all again. I said that title will be a fart in the wind.
    I never said the Lakers sucked. I said presently, as constructed, they are,a 1st or .2nd round exit team. They are,hamstrung by Kobes $ and will not get anything of value for Gasol. All truths.

How long are we supposed to slobber over the recent champs? All year?

My beef is not with the teams themselves. It’s with the derelict fanbases. Especially of the Lakers.
    I don’t hate anybody or any team. I love my life, no, I don’t own A gun, let alone “1000s ” of them. Not waiting for Armageddon either. I just have a problem with the know nothing fans that can’t see the forest for the trees. I just can’t seem to sit back while bs is babbled.

No matter what team I am a fan of, you will call me a hater- I detest that word- so,what’s the point of telling you?

Suffice it to say, they have won several titles. I

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches