Jul 2, 2012, 10:52 AM EST
Jason Terry can flat out light it up. At age 34 he averaged 15 points per game shooting 37 percent from three. There are about 30 teams in the league that could use a guy like that when he is on, a former NBA Sixth Man of the Year and unrepentant gunner.
A few of those teams stepped forward on the opening day of free agency and cleared the Jet for takeoff, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo.
Mavs free agent guard Jason Terry getting interest from Boston, Grizzlies, Clippers, Suns and Mavs, source tells Yahoo!
Miami is not on that list, but you know they reached out to him as part of their “if you take our $3 million we’ll throw in a ring or two” sales pitch. It may not sound impressive on paper, but it works a lot better when Pat Riley delivers it.
So as free agency got rolling Sunday, Terry and his representatives let the Mavericks know that they will have a chance to match any offer Terry receives on the open market, a source close to Terry said. As the source said, a tie would go to the Mavericks.
Of course, the factors here are how big/long the contract offer Terry gets is, as well as whether the Mavericks win the Deron Williams sweepstakes and tie up salary there. But this is a nice little bit of spin by the Mavs (true or not) to put doubt in the minds of other teams.
But Dallas gets the last word.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 21
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17