Jul 2, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
Jason Terry can flat out light it up. At age 34 he averaged 15 points per game shooting 37 percent from three. There are about 30 teams in the league that could use a guy like that when he is on, a former NBA Sixth Man of the Year and unrepentant gunner.
A few of those teams stepped forward on the opening day of free agency and cleared the Jet for takeoff, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo.
Mavs free agent guard Jason Terry getting interest from Boston, Grizzlies, Clippers, Suns and Mavs, source tells Yahoo!
Miami is not on that list, but you know they reached out to him as part of their “if you take our $3 million we’ll throw in a ring or two” sales pitch. It may not sound impressive on paper, but it works a lot better when Pat Riley delivers it.
So as free agency got rolling Sunday, Terry and his representatives let the Mavericks know that they will have a chance to match any offer Terry receives on the open market, a source close to Terry said. As the source said, a tie would go to the Mavericks.
Of course, the factors here are how big/long the contract offer Terry gets is, as well as whether the Mavericks win the Deron Williams sweepstakes and tie up salary there. But this is a nice little bit of spin by the Mavs (true or not) to put doubt in the minds of other teams.
But Dallas gets the last word.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 31
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5