Jul 2, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
Jason Terry can flat out light it up. At age 34 he averaged 15 points per game shooting 37 percent from three. There are about 30 teams in the league that could use a guy like that when he is on, a former NBA Sixth Man of the Year and unrepentant gunner.
A few of those teams stepped forward on the opening day of free agency and cleared the Jet for takeoff, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo.
Mavs free agent guard Jason Terry getting interest from Boston, Grizzlies, Clippers, Suns and Mavs, source tells Yahoo!
Miami is not on that list, but you know they reached out to him as part of their “if you take our $3 million we’ll throw in a ring or two” sales pitch. It may not sound impressive on paper, but it works a lot better when Pat Riley delivers it.
So as free agency got rolling Sunday, Terry and his representatives let the Mavericks know that they will have a chance to match any offer Terry receives on the open market, a source close to Terry said. As the source said, a tie would go to the Mavericks.
Of course, the factors here are how big/long the contract offer Terry gets is, as well as whether the Mavericks win the Deron Williams sweepstakes and tie up salary there. But this is a nice little bit of spin by the Mavs (true or not) to put doubt in the minds of other teams.
But Dallas gets the last word.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4