Jul 2, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
There are no surprises — did you think Kobe Bryant or LeBron James were going to be left off the team? — but now we know nine of the 12 players who will represent the United States in the London Olympic basketball tournament.
USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo laid it out for Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
In a phone interview with FOX Sports Florida, Colangelo said 2008 Olympic holdovers LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul and Deron Williams are assured of being on the team in London along with 2010 World Championship holdovers Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love and Tyson Chandler.
Again, no surprises there. And Colangelo said there would be no additions to the team at this point.
So there are six players left — Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala, Rudy Gay, James Harden, Eric Gordon and Anthony Davis — fighting for three spots. While Colangelo wouldn’t rule out Davis, the fact he sprained his ankle might cost him any real chance.
Because Team USA could use more height along the front line, one of those three places almost certainly will be Griffin’s. My guess is that Harden or Gordon will get a spot as a backup two, and Iguodala or Gay will get the other spot, but coach Mike Krzyzewski has options.
The entire team will be announced in a television special on NBA TV Saturday at 7 p.m. Eastern (after just a couple days of practice). From there Team USA will keep practicing, readying for a game against the Dominican Republic — which is in Venezuela right now trying to qualify for the Games through FIBA’s second chance qualifier matching teams that just missed out in their regions — on Thursday, July 12.
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 2
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 9
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 15
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35