Dwight Howard says he will only re-sign with one team

Jul 2, 2012, 1:46 AM EDT

Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard gestures during the first half of their NBA basketball game against the Boston Celtics in Boston Reuters

Dwight Howard is still trying to influence where he gets traded.

Howard wants to be traded to the Brooklyn Nets and play with Deron Williams, and to influence that he told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo (and NBC Sports Network) that he would only re-sign to stay with one team.

As the Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets and other teams prepare possible trade offers for him, Howard told Yahoo! by phone that, “There’s only one team on my list and if I don’t get traded there, I’ll play the season out and explore my free agency after that.”

Howard wouldn’t name the team. Woj’s sources say and pretty much everyone with a working Internet connection knows he is talking Brooklyn.

Howard is trying to scare off other teams. It may work with the Lakers, who would rather work on keeping Andrew Bynum happy and re-signing him than rolling the dice with Howard.

The Rockets, it’s still worth the risk for them. If they trade for him they become instant near contenders and have a year to convince him to stay. If he does they remain at the top of the West. If he leaves them after a year they will fall to the bottom of the league but can rebuild through high draft picks. Either way, they get out of their current spot stuck in the middle of the league, good not great.

Howard also spoke to the report from ESPN that he felt Orlando “blackmailed” him when he opted in for next season and he wanted to be clear about what he told the Magic organization.

“I never used the word blackmail in reference to any of my dealings with the Magic,” Howard said. “I never said that. It’s defamatory and it’s inaccurate. I know what blackmail means and any report that I used the term incorrectly is inaccurate….

“This was not the first time [that I asked for trade],” Howard said. “I communicated this to [Magic president] Alex [Martins] and [former general manager] Otis [Smith] way before Friday that I wanted to be traded – months before this meeting with Rob Hennigan. That was all way before Stan [Van Gundy] got fired.”

I’m not sure any of that helps his public relations position. Fair or not, he’s going to take a hit in some quarters when this trade goes down, wherever it is.

1. ccshocktalk - Jul 2, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Superman, you super suck.

If I were the DeVoss family, I would just sit on this player and put him on the inactive roster, lock him out from the arena, the practice facility etc. So you lost your star, you aren’t going to get much from his “one and only team of choice”. And because he is trying to hurt your organization, I say you return the favor. Sit him out for the ENTIRE year, you will suck it up get a lottery pick and go from there. It’s not like Orlando is a budding franchise, you’ve got huge contracts on the books and cannot rebuild immediately anyways.

Orlando just needs to tell this dude to go home, stay home, and enjoy free agency next summer. He can take the year off to learn how to develop some post moves.

• drunkenjunk - Jul 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I like this idea, except I’d trade him right before the deadline to whoever gives me the most. It’d be awesome to watch him pout on the sidelines for 1/2 a year.

• ccshocktalk - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM

It would be great to watch him sit on the sideline for half the year or 3/4 of it. And to make it even better you could trade him to a team that isn’t even playoff bound…just send him there for the last few weeks of the season…somewhere terrible. Milwaukee sounds pretty bad…heck send him up to Detroit, they suck and it will be FREEZING cold at that time of year (same with Milwaukee). Either way i’m on board for it.

• drunkenjunk - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:41 PM

lol make him suffer

2. dannymac17 - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

“I know what blackmail means and any report that I used the term incorrectly is inaccurate….”

Right, so you used the term correctly?

3. cantonbound13 - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM

This guy is not only annoying but clearly confused. Who would chose Brooklyn over L.A.?

4. mrhall82l - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Is it me or is Dwight Howard and his antics the most tiring thing in sports currently? Who does he think he is telling his bosses where they better trade him? If he wants to lose 30 million plus because he doesn’t resign with the team that trades for him only to play for the nets for less money then he’s a fool!i wish someone would blackmail me and offer to pay my 100 million dollars to play for them…. Smh

5. mgaddyrt - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM

If they trade him to Brooklyn their demands should be high anywhere else I would lower my demands perhaps to clear cap space. If he goes elsewhere he wont play hard and it will be two years this guy has played like crap. His overall value will go down drastically.

6. ch8878 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

In the NBA there clearly needs to be some kind of tampering laws with the Lebron ordeal and now the Howard ordeal.

This coming up season teams won’t mind being over the cap but the next season teams over the cap with have to pay $50 million dollars so I doubt any teams will be over the cap from then on.

• ch8878 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM

————————————————————————————————————–

I meant to say “will have to pay $50 million dollars so I doubt any teams will be over the cap from then on.”

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches