Jul 2, 2012, 1:09 AM EDT
Ben Gordon will not be part of host Great Britain’s basketball team at the Olympics.
After a draft night trade from the Pistons to the Bobcats, the London-born Gordon told British coach Chris Spice he couldn’t commit to them. Spice, understandably, told the Associated Press he was not thrilled.
Spice says “It’s really disappointing as he’s a world-class player who would have made a huge difference.”
Gordon has never played for Great Britain. However, in a tournament where the hosts are wildly overmatched they certainly could have used his scoring.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43