Jul 1, 2012, 4:21 PM EST
This was never going to end any other way.
Scott Brooks will be back with the Oklahoma City Thunder next season. And a few more after that. The two sides have reached a deal, reports David Aldridge of NBA.com and TNT.
Deal done in OKC for Scott Brooks; should be signed Monday. Four years, 4M+/year.
That gives Brooks the years he wanted, but the salary is not out of control (Doc Rivers was the top paid coach in the NBA last year at $7 million).
Brooks was really always going to come back as coach. This team believes in him. Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook trust him. We can debate his rotations — I thought Brook’s choices hurt OKC in the finals — the fact is this team listens to him and plays very hard for him. That matters.
And Books is young as a coach, a guy who is still learning.
Some Thunder fans seemed to hold out the unrealistic option of Phil Jackson coming in. That wouldn’t have worked. I don’t mean on the court, although Russell Westbrook is not a guy who fits the triangle point guard well at all. But rather, I mean off the court — Jackson is not just a guy who comes in and coaches, he influences and changes every level of the organization. The Thunder do not need that, Sam Presti has set up San Antonio North — a lot of very good, selfless players buying into what works. Jackson changes that dynamic and while he has won this is a young core that is on the verge of winning and there is no reason to change that up.
Now this is behind them and the Thunder can focus on taking one more step.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 0
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 4
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 20
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)