Jul 1, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
With Deron Williams just flipping a coin between Dallas and Brooklyn, this may make Nash the most interesting free agent to watch this July. Does he chase a ring and head to Miami (they are reportedly going to make an offer)? Does he sign with his second home in New York?
Or, I can think of $12 million reasons he might want to head to Toronto. From Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
Their pitch to Nash will focus on his chance to return to his native Canada and dramatically help what the Raptors are building while becoming even more of a legend in his native country. Nash has extensive Raptors ties, among them his connections to former Suns GM Colangelo to his time with former Raptors coach and current Vice President of pro scouting Jay Triano, who worked with Nash on the Canadian Olympic team.
Sources confirmed that the Raptors are likely to offer a deal that pays approximately $12 million annually, though it remains to be seen whether it is for three guaranteed years or two years with a team option in the third season.
If you don’t think the size of the offer matters to Nash you have not been listening to him — he said that money equals respect in the NBA.
However, spare me the “Nash going home to Canada” thing. Not that he doesn’t love Canada, but Toronto is not home. Vancouver is. And if you think those are near the same things than you are worse at Canadian geography and culture than the average American third grader.
I don’t think this is where he lands. But it’s not out of the question. I can give you $12 million reasons why.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)