Jul 1, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
With Deron Williams just flipping a coin between Dallas and Brooklyn, this may make Nash the most interesting free agent to watch this July. Does he chase a ring and head to Miami (they are reportedly going to make an offer)? Does he sign with his second home in New York?
Or, I can think of $12 million reasons he might want to head to Toronto. From Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
Their pitch to Nash will focus on his chance to return to his native Canada and dramatically help what the Raptors are building while becoming even more of a legend in his native country. Nash has extensive Raptors ties, among them his connections to former Suns GM Colangelo to his time with former Raptors coach and current Vice President of pro scouting Jay Triano, who worked with Nash on the Canadian Olympic team.
Sources confirmed that the Raptors are likely to offer a deal that pays approximately $12 million annually, though it remains to be seen whether it is for three guaranteed years or two years with a team option in the third season.
If you don’t think the size of the offer matters to Nash you have not been listening to him — he said that money equals respect in the NBA.
However, spare me the “Nash going home to Canada” thing. Not that he doesn’t love Canada, but Toronto is not home. Vancouver is. And if you think those are near the same things than you are worse at Canadian geography and culture than the average American third grader.
I don’t think this is where he lands. But it’s not out of the question. I can give you $12 million reasons why.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 14
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0