Jul 1, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
With Deron Williams just flipping a coin between Dallas and Brooklyn, this may make Nash the most interesting free agent to watch this July. Does he chase a ring and head to Miami (they are reportedly going to make an offer)? Does he sign with his second home in New York?
Or, I can think of $12 million reasons he might want to head to Toronto. From Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
Their pitch to Nash will focus on his chance to return to his native Canada and dramatically help what the Raptors are building while becoming even more of a legend in his native country. Nash has extensive Raptors ties, among them his connections to former Suns GM Colangelo to his time with former Raptors coach and current Vice President of pro scouting Jay Triano, who worked with Nash on the Canadian Olympic team.
Sources confirmed that the Raptors are likely to offer a deal that pays approximately $12 million annually, though it remains to be seen whether it is for three guaranteed years or two years with a team option in the third season.
If you don’t think the size of the offer matters to Nash you have not been listening to him — he said that money equals respect in the NBA.
However, spare me the “Nash going home to Canada” thing. Not that he doesn’t love Canada, but Toronto is not home. Vancouver is. And if you think those are near the same things than you are worse at Canadian geography and culture than the average American third grader.
I don’t think this is where he lands. But it’s not out of the question. I can give you $12 million reasons why.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 25
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 3
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 6
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9