Jun 30, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
It’s not a fire sale. But it does feel like a clearance sale.
Rockets GM Daryl Morey is clearly looking to make some big moves and shake up the Rockets roster. He brought in three picks in the top 20 from the NBA Draft — and tried to do a lot more — and now he is shopping Luis Scola. And pretty much everyone else.
From Marc Stein at ESPN:
Although a specific trade partner for Houston has not yet emerged, sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets — stocked with big forwards after coming away with Royce White and Terrence Jones in the NBA draft earlier this week — are working to find a new home for Scola as they rebuild their roster.
Veteran guards Kyle Lowry and Kevin Martin have also been made available in various trade scenarios by the Rockets as they continue to stockpile young assets as part of their well-chronicled intent to pursue Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard or another franchise player in trade scenarios.
“You want that lamp? You can have that lamp for the right price. Anything that is not nailed down can be yours. And we will take the nails out of the other stuff.”
It’s the right thing to do. The Rockets have been locked in NBA’s middle ground. Not bad, fighting for a low payoff seed, getting a nice but not great draft pick, having some nice players but no All-Stars. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.
Morey is trying to break out of that cycle, and I like it. Get a franchise player. Even if it blows up and falls apart, you end up bad and get a real high draft pick and start to build that way. Get out of the safe middle and be bold. Houston is doing that.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31