Jun 30, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Ray Allen is going to be a popular guy Sunday.
The Heat, according to sources, have made Allen their prime offseason target and will pursue him strongly when free agency opens Sunday at 12:01 a.m. ET.
They intend to offer him their $3 million mini-mid-level exception, a chance to win another title and significant playing time as they continue with the plan to play LeBron James as a power forward in the future. Heat players, including James and Dwyane Wade, have been publicly and privately recruiting Allen over the last month.
If it is just about the ring or playing time, Miami is going to win out. In Boston Avery Bradley will be the starting two guard and Allen would be the sixth man with decreasing minutes. (And Boston fans, Miami is much closer to a title. Yes, you took them seven games in the conference finals but five of those were without Chris Bosh and while Dwyane Wade was dragging around a left knee that needed surgery. The Heat will be better next year.)
The Suns also are reportedly interested in making a run at Ray Allen, and other teams will be in the mix as well. But it almost certainly comes down to Miami vs. Boston.
It really comes down to what matters most to Ray Allen. I would say the longer Allen takes to make a decision, the more likely he returns to Boston.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8