Jun 30, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Ray Allen is going to be a popular guy Sunday.
The Heat, according to sources, have made Allen their prime offseason target and will pursue him strongly when free agency opens Sunday at 12:01 a.m. ET.
They intend to offer him their $3 million mini-mid-level exception, a chance to win another title and significant playing time as they continue with the plan to play LeBron James as a power forward in the future. Heat players, including James and Dwyane Wade, have been publicly and privately recruiting Allen over the last month.
If it is just about the ring or playing time, Miami is going to win out. In Boston Avery Bradley will be the starting two guard and Allen would be the sixth man with decreasing minutes. (And Boston fans, Miami is much closer to a title. Yes, you took them seven games in the conference finals but five of those were without Chris Bosh and while Dwyane Wade was dragging around a left knee that needed surgery. The Heat will be better next year.)
The Suns also are reportedly interested in making a run at Ray Allen, and other teams will be in the mix as well. But it almost certainly comes down to Miami vs. Boston.
It really comes down to what matters most to Ray Allen. I would say the longer Allen takes to make a decision, the more likely he returns to Boston.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 0
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 10
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9