Jun 30, 2012, 10:58 PM EDT
ESPN reports that Deron Williams‘ future as far as free agency goes will be decided off two meetings on Monday. From ESPN.com:
Deron Williams, the most coveted player in this summers free-agent class, will meet with representatives from the Brooklyn Nets and Dallas Mavericks on Monday before deciding which team to sign with, a source privy to Williams plan told ESPN The Magazines Ric Bucher.
Mavericks free agent point guard Jason Kidd also will join whichever team Williams chooses, sources told Bucher.
Kidd and Williams are close going back to the Olympics where Kidd has mentored Williams. Williams is a Dallas native, and has narrowed his list of teams he’s interested in to the Nets and Mavericks.
The Nets will of course sell playing in New York, the prospect of playing with potentially Joe Johnson or Dwight Howard, playing in New York, the extra money from re-signing, playing in New York, and Mikhail Prokhoro’s international connections. The Mavericks will sell Mark Cuban’s ownership and management, coming home to Dallas, playing with Hall of Famer Dirk Nowitzki, the 2011 championship which Williams was in the arena for in Finals games 3 and 4, and the Mavericks’ more established history.
It should be an entertaining series of meetings, and the results will have considerable effects on the 2012-2013 NBA landscape and beyond.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'