Jun 30, 2012, 10:58 PM EDT
ESPN reports that Deron Williams‘ future as far as free agency goes will be decided off two meetings on Monday. From ESPN.com:
Deron Williams, the most coveted player in this summers free-agent class, will meet with representatives from the Brooklyn Nets and Dallas Mavericks on Monday before deciding which team to sign with, a source privy to Williams plan told ESPN The Magazines Ric Bucher.
Mavericks free agent point guard Jason Kidd also will join whichever team Williams chooses, sources told Bucher.
Kidd and Williams are close going back to the Olympics where Kidd has mentored Williams. Williams is a Dallas native, and has narrowed his list of teams he’s interested in to the Nets and Mavericks.
The Nets will of course sell playing in New York, the prospect of playing with potentially Joe Johnson or Dwight Howard, playing in New York, the extra money from re-signing, playing in New York, and Mikhail Prokhoro’s international connections. The Mavericks will sell Mark Cuban’s ownership and management, coming home to Dallas, playing with Hall of Famer Dirk Nowitzki, the 2011 championship which Williams was in the arena for in Finals games 3 and 4, and the Mavericks’ more established history.
It should be an entertaining series of meetings, and the results will have considerable effects on the 2012-2013 NBA landscape and beyond.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 7
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 36
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40