Jun 30, 2012, 10:58 PM EST
ESPN reports that Deron Williams‘ future as far as free agency goes will be decided off two meetings on Monday. From ESPN.com:
Deron Williams, the most coveted player in this summers free-agent class, will meet with representatives from the Brooklyn Nets and Dallas Mavericks on Monday before deciding which team to sign with, a source privy to Williams plan told ESPN The Magazines Ric Bucher.
Mavericks free agent point guard Jason Kidd also will join whichever team Williams chooses, sources told Bucher.
Kidd and Williams are close going back to the Olympics where Kidd has mentored Williams. Williams is a Dallas native, and has narrowed his list of teams he’s interested in to the Nets and Mavericks.
The Nets will of course sell playing in New York, the prospect of playing with potentially Joe Johnson or Dwight Howard, playing in New York, the extra money from re-signing, playing in New York, and Mikhail Prokhoro’s international connections. The Mavericks will sell Mark Cuban’s ownership and management, coming home to Dallas, playing with Hall of Famer Dirk Nowitzki, the 2011 championship which Williams was in the arena for in Finals games 3 and 4, and the Mavericks’ more established history.
It should be an entertaining series of meetings, and the results will have considerable effects on the 2012-2013 NBA landscape and beyond.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 5
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 14
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36