Jun 30, 2012, 10:58 PM EDT
ESPN reports that Deron Williams‘ future as far as free agency goes will be decided off two meetings on Monday. From ESPN.com:
Deron Williams, the most coveted player in this summers free-agent class, will meet with representatives from the Brooklyn Nets and Dallas Mavericks on Monday before deciding which team to sign with, a source privy to Williams plan told ESPN The Magazines Ric Bucher.
Mavericks free agent point guard Jason Kidd also will join whichever team Williams chooses, sources told Bucher.
Kidd and Williams are close going back to the Olympics where Kidd has mentored Williams. Williams is a Dallas native, and has narrowed his list of teams he’s interested in to the Nets and Mavericks.
The Nets will of course sell playing in New York, the prospect of playing with potentially Joe Johnson or Dwight Howard, playing in New York, the extra money from re-signing, playing in New York, and Mikhail Prokhoro’s international connections. The Mavericks will sell Mark Cuban’s ownership and management, coming home to Dallas, playing with Hall of Famer Dirk Nowitzki, the 2011 championship which Williams was in the arena for in Finals games 3 and 4, and the Mavericks’ more established history.
It should be an entertaining series of meetings, and the results will have considerable effects on the 2012-2013 NBA landscape and beyond.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 1
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30