Jun 30, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
This is about as much of a surprise as Tom Cruise burning through another marriage.
The Clippers top July 1 free agent priority will be signing star forward Blake Griffin to a max extension to his rookie deal. And it sounds like that is going to happen no problem, reports Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The Clippers remain confident they will be able to sign Griffin to a five-year maximum extension in July. Sources with knowledge of the talks say they have gone smoothly so far and neither side anticipates any problems getting the extension done and agreed upon by July 1. Don’t expect much fanfare from Griffin though. He’ll likely just walk into the Clippers’ practice the facility the next day the way Kevin Durant did in Oklahoma City a few years ago.
There was never any question Griffin was going to sign an extension to his rookie deal. He wants to get paid, and he gets to do it in a major market with all the endorsement and marketing advantages that come with it. Plus, the team seems to be building a winner around him (they need to re-sign Chris Paul next summer, too, and that may be the bigger question mark).
And if you know Griffin, you know he is pretty soft spoken. He’ll take this in stride.
Griffin will be in Las Vegas after July 4 trying to earn a spot in London on the U.S. Olympic team. By then he should have a new, much richer contract signed.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 14
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43