Report: Timberwolves went hard after Pau Gasol, but Derrick Williams isn’t enough

Jun 29, 2012, 9:49 AM EDT

Pau Gasol, Shane Battier, Joel Anthony, Chris Bosh AP

The Minnesota Timberwolves tried to make a bold move Thursday night during the NBA Draft — they tried to move Derrick Williams to Charlotte for the No. 2 pick overall, which Minny was going to swing over to the Los Angeles Lakers to help them land Pau Gasol.

That’s what the Associated Press is reporting. And the Wolves are not done trying to get Gasol, the AP adds.

The Timberwolves were expected to continue their pursuit of Gasol in hopes of putting him with fellow Spaniard Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love on a revamped roster aimed at getting the team back to the playoffs, and beyond, for the first time since 2004.

The Wolves’ interest in Gasol has long been rumored, with the highly skilled big man considered an ideal fit for coach Rick Adelman’s corner offense, and the kind of playoff-tested veteran needed on one of the youngest rosters in the NBA. He is also close friends with Rubio, the Wolves’ superb young point guard who is recovering from a torn ACL and hopes to be ready early next season.

I get that. I get the why. That makes sense.

But any time Bobcats GM Rich Cho gets a little depressed over the next few years owner Michael Jordan can just say, “hey, remember that time David Kahn tried to get you to give up the No. 2 pick for Derrick Williams?” And then they will laugh and laugh.

Williams was the No. 2 pick overall out of Airzona last year, but that was a weaker draft and his performance in his rookie season didn’t really inspire you to want to give up much for him. There is potential there, no doubt, but I’m not giving up the No. 2 pick for him. Or Gasol. Or much of actual value.

But the Wolves are going to try and move him — Adelman wants more veterans, according to the report.

“I think the most important fact about Derrick to me is that he turned 21 last month. He’s still very, very young,” Kahn said on Wednesday. “This is a very important summer for him to demonstrate if he’s serious about his craft, his occupation, that he’s serious about himself. This is the offseason. I challenged him in his exit interview, and I’m eager to see the results of this summer.”

Oh yea, I’d give up the No. 2 pick, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, for that guy.

1. paulhargis53 - Jun 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Thank God that didn’t go through! Why in the hell would you give up on Williams already? Gasol isn’t worth the #2 pick!
    Kahn is pretty spotty on his gm duties.
    I’m glad cooler and smarter heads prevailed.
    The Lakers aren’t getting anything of value for Gasol.
    Go get a good shooting sf Kahn.

• drunkenjunk - Jun 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I don’t understand why Minny wants him. I wouldn’t give up williams and then have to pay gasol 30 something million over the next two years. They’re better off tryin to develop what they got and bring in some veteran role players.

2. anarchopurplism - Jun 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM

How many years does Gasol have left?

• kinggw - Jun 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM

3. prosourcetalk - Jun 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

They would be better off trading for Josh Smith

4. ccshocktalk - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

The chemistry you get with Pau and Ricky Rubio would be well worth the dollars. Chemistry is everything in every sport…pairing those two up would have been huge. Right now it’s too early to write off Derrick Williams, but if you had a few good years with a perennial all star caliber player you hop at the chance to get them on your roster.

Pau with Kevin Love, and Ricky Rubio would be a nice nucleus and then look for another athletic big man to draft in a year or two to learn from Pau and Kevin Love. That team would be leaps and bounds better with Pau.

• loungefly74 - Jun 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM

yes. great stuff cc. gasol will help “awaken” the franchise even more which in return will be $$$ for the T-wolves…which some people forget that when they respond with talks of ” oh…but he is owed 19 million, etc.”…yeah, thats right but his presence will recoup a big % of that!

5. joshm5683 - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Gasol has 2 years left on his deal, Smith has 1. The thing about Pau is his game isn’t reliant on being a world class athlete. He has incredible skills and can shoot. His game will age a lot better than Smith’s will.

6. scottieplongballs - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I think that report is way off. I think the Lakers would trade for Williams straight up just to dump his contract. The fact is we will never know but the peices dont line up the way i see it. Williams had a good second half of the season last year. Give him another year to work in his game at the NBA level. Wolves better hold on to him.

• borderline1988 - Jun 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Williams is a good player, but not all-star level. I thought he was overrated even before he was drafted…the guy had a great game against Duke in the tournament, but it was a fluke. That game solidified him as the #2 pick.
      His athletiscm is good but not as good as it was supposed to be…average shooter, handles, average everything basically. I don’t see him becoming a top-level player…he could be a nice rotation player but that’s about it.
      Was a really weak draft in 2011.

The 2012 draft will not produce many superstars, but it is incredibly deep. You may find guys drafted in the 20s who can become all-stars. A lot of forwards who can turn into 2nd tier stars, like a Lamarcus Aldridge. It was a deep draft or solid big men.

7. smitheye - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Because Kahn blew it last year by not trading the pick. D-Will is not and can not play the small forward position. Quit dreaming.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Kahn couldn’t trade the pick last. Per the CBA, you can’t trade your first round pick in consecutive years. The Wolves were forced to give to the Clippers (who traded it to the Hornets) for a trade Kevin McHale made 5 years ago for Marko Jaric.

8. paulhargis53 - Jun 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Smith: Where in the article or any of the posts did anyone say anything about him playing sf?
    If you are referring to me, I suggested that Khan go get one. Not that he should turn Williams into one.
    Reading comprehension- look into it.

• smitheye - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Umm… the world doesn’t center around you, so no I wasn’t talking to you. But since you think you’re pretty whitty… The Wolves are supposed to keep Williams to play 13 minutes a game behind Kevin Love? Smart.

• smitheye - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Witty*

9. paulhargis53 - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I never said you WERE, I said IF….

Still having trouble with comprehension.

What’s not smart is giving up on a guy that was drafted #2 overall 1 year ago.

He’s the first big off the bench and will see much more than 13 minutes a game.

Lounge, go blow smoke somewhere else, no one is buying the garbage your peddling. You want Gasol gone and it doesn’t matter for what.
    Gasil wasn’t the problem last year. Kobe and his horrid shot selection, hero ball was. Along with a horrific bench.
    Kahn would be an idiot to trade this guy for Gasol. An up and coming player for an over the hill one is dumb.

I’m sure youd love this trade, just like Josh Smith for Gasol, right? Uff.

• smitheye - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM

If I were responding to your first post I would have simply clicked the “reply” button. It seems to me you have 14 thumbs up and 37 thumbs down. So if no one is buying the garbage im peddling, what’s that say about you?

PS – I’m sure you love the attention, but I’m done with you.

10. paulhargis53 - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM

My God!!! The 1st part of the post was directed at you.

You see where I say lounge? That’s for loungefly, another poster.

You actually care about the thumbs up or down? I’ve seen people thumb down condolences to people who have died, hence they don’t mean much to me

I’m not looking for attention at all, I’m stating my opinions.
    I’m glad you are done with me, your lack of comprehension is giving me a headache.

11. paulhargis53 - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Smitheye: I’ve been a bit overboard in picking on you, you didn’t deserve it. I apologize.

• smitheye - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:41 PM

12. voiceofreason6 - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Pau has been a great player but he may be on the downside now. If I’m the Lakers, I say “let’s get it done”. Package Michael Beasley with him and it’s a deal. Do it before anyone has time to think about it too long.

13. lakerluver - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Pau is not “over the hill” as some have suggested. His role changed and so did the entire offense. In Minny he could average 18, 10, and a couple of blocks a game because he would be the primary low post threat. As great a player as K. Love is he is not as skilled as Pau in the low post. Those two, along with Rubio, makes Minny a good team. Pau doesn’t rely on athleticism, so I think he still has 3-4 good years left. D. Williams and another player could get it done. As a LAKERS fan I don’t want to see our version of the twin towers broken up. But the LAKERS haven’t won in the last two seasons with Pau and Drew, so maybe it’s time to break them up. Plus, the LAKERS need to start bringing in some young talent. How about Williams and Beasley for Pau?

14. greatminnesotasportsmind - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I don’t understand why the Wolves feel the need to trade D. Will? They are going to need someone to replace Kevin Love in 3 years since Kahn was an idiot and didn’t give Love the 5 year extension.

15. kirschmania - Jun 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM

there’s always at least one weirdo that like to stir the comment section pot.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches