Jun 29, 2012, 9:49 AM EDT
The Minnesota Timberwolves tried to make a bold move Thursday night during the NBA Draft — they tried to move Derrick Williams to Charlotte for the No. 2 pick overall, which Minny was going to swing over to the Los Angeles Lakers to help them land Pau Gasol.
That’s what the Associated Press is reporting. And the Wolves are not done trying to get Gasol, the AP adds.
The Timberwolves were expected to continue their pursuit of Gasol in hopes of putting him with fellow Spaniard Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love on a revamped roster aimed at getting the team back to the playoffs, and beyond, for the first time since 2004.
The Wolves’ interest in Gasol has long been rumored, with the highly skilled big man considered an ideal fit for coach Rick Adelman’s corner offense, and the kind of playoff-tested veteran needed on one of the youngest rosters in the NBA. He is also close friends with Rubio, the Wolves’ superb young point guard who is recovering from a torn ACL and hopes to be ready early next season.
I get that. I get the why. That makes sense.
But any time Bobcats GM Rich Cho gets a little depressed over the next few years owner Michael Jordan can just say, “hey, remember that time David Kahn tried to get you to give up the No. 2 pick for Derrick Williams?” And then they will laugh and laugh.
Williams was the No. 2 pick overall out of Airzona last year, but that was a weaker draft and his performance in his rookie season didn’t really inspire you to want to give up much for him. There is potential there, no doubt, but I’m not giving up the No. 2 pick for him. Or Gasol. Or much of actual value.
But the Wolves are going to try and move him — Adelman wants more veterans, according to the report.
“I think the most important fact about Derrick to me is that he turned 21 last month. He’s still very, very young,” Kahn said on Wednesday. “This is a very important summer for him to demonstrate if he’s serious about his craft, his occupation, that he’s serious about himself. This is the offseason. I challenged him in his exit interview, and I’m eager to see the results of this summer.”
Oh yea, I’d give up the No. 2 pick, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, for that guy.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 14
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32