Jun 29, 2012, 9:05 AM EDT
How much is Scott Brooks worth as a coach?
Remember his contract is set to expire on July 1. He guided the Oklahoma City Thunder to the NBA finals with a young core. While you can question his basketball Xs and Os — and there are plenty of basketball people who do — this team really relates to him and plays hard for him. Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden like him. And, he made the adjustments necessary to beat Gregg Popovich, the best coach on the planet right now. But his rotations in the finals were confusing. At best.
Well, what Brooks thinks he is worth and what Thunder management have turned out to be two very different things and the two sides are nowhere near a deal, reports David Aldridge of NBA.com.
Sources confirmed a Yahoo! report that Oklahoma City is now offering Brooks a four-year deal, after staying at three years during the last several months of negotiations, and a league source said that Oklahoma City is now willing to discuss a deal that would get Brooks in the $4 million per year range.
Brooks believes that his performance in developing the Thunder’s rotation the last three years warrants a deal that would make him one of the highest-paid coaches in the league. A source with knowledge of the negotiations said that the Thunder’s current offer would not get Brooks into the top 10 of the league’s top-paid coaches, based on this past season’s coaching salaries.
Welcome to coaching in a small market.
In the end, you have to think both sides will get this done. Brooks isn’t doing this just for the money, he really likes this team. He’ll come down some. The Thunder know Brooks has the pulse of this team and they have gotten better for him each year (and he has gotten better). It’s a match.
Besides, if the Thunder are going to replace Brooks at this point that only works if you are going to go big with a name coach who can walk in the door, instantly command the respect of the locker room and take them to the next level. And if you think Brooks is asking for too much money, wait until you talk to those guys.
Figure it out, guys.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11