Report: Heat don’t plan to amnesty Mike Miller, anyone else

Jun 29, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Miami Heat - Game Five Getty Images

Miami has some looming tax issues.

Next year they have nearly $80 million on the books, and that’s without going after Ray Allen or any other free agent with their taxpayer’s mid-level exception ($3 million). Or rounding out the roster. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh alone will account for about $52 million in salary next year and the salary cap is at $58 million (the tax line is $70). As the stiffer penalties and repeater tax kick in in the next few years, the tax burden will get brutal.

But don’t expect the Heat to amnesty Mike Miller. Or anyone else. Here is what team president Pat Riley told Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel on twitter.

Pat Riley said the Heat apparently will bypass amnesty this summer, “We’re not looking at amenstying anybody.”

The Heat could change their minds, the amnesty window starts July 11. I don’t expect Miller to change his mind (not with $18.6 million still on the table). But they may be a team willing to pay a price for a few years to chase a few more rings.

Winning one will do that to you.

1. david8726 - Jun 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Micky Arison isn’t an owner who throws money all over the place like Mark Cuban or James Dolan, but he’s definitely willing to be in the tax for a while as long as this team is a contender. If Pat Riley see’s a player he really thinks can help this team and it’s possible to do so under the cap, Micky will let him do it.

2. fanz928 - Jun 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Ray Allen is mike miller at a cheap price so why not

• moseskkim - Jun 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Agreed. Let’s not overvalue Mike miller. I don’t question his heart. As a basketball player at this stage of his health and player, he’s not that good. He had one great playoff game but barely played the last couple years and most of the playoffs. Ray Allen is a hall of famer, all time 3 pt leader. Sure Allen wasn’t healthy this year but he’s been very healthy the rest of his career. Allen is way more valuable.

3. rickyspanish - Jun 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Miami is a loyal organization. They expect loyalty from their players and they hold themselves to the same standard. Plus, a healthy Miller is as good as a healthy Allen. Along side of his shooting, Miller rebounds and hustles.

• 808raiderinparadise - Jun 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Agreed, if Mike Miller’s back gets healthy, he is a better asset than Ray Ray.

He is a warrior and played at about 60-70% the whole playoffs,

• jimmymarlinsfan - Jun 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Class basketball organizations understand you spend money to make money. This, as said shows the loyalty factor the Heat have and will mean many more players will wish to take their talents to south beach because they know it means winning, on and off the court

• 10tender - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Spend money to make money is a business analogy, to generalize is retarded.

4. ebones1985 - Jun 29, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Mike Miller hasn’t really been on the floor the last two years and he’s more or less a one trick pony. Jesue Shuttlesworth on the other hand is far more durable and a pretty good perimeter defender. I don’t like the idea of Allen to Miami, but his is defiantly an upgrade from miller.

5. tannethrill - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Called it. Riles handshake is the one thing he has over most other GMs in the league because of his job security, rep and track record. I’m sure a big part of these guys taking less including Haslem is no amnesty and likely no trade or waive short of embarrassing the franchise.

As long as no one gets burned then they can basically circumvent the cap through savings in exchange for contract and team security long term that others just can’t guarantee due to their high turnover in their position.

You could even call it a long term plan if it helps net them another superstar next year or the following. Just speculating, have no idea on their cap situation going forward but I’d assume at some point in the next few years the handshake deals will have expired and Wade will eventually take less to become a role player. Maybe 2-3 more fantastic years for Wade on a decline due to age.

At some point this roster will just get stronger and stronger because of their business practices and the loyalty the players feel to the franchise and Riles specifically.

6. 49erminer4life - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Did U guys see miller, he could barely get up & down the court, he probably retires & riley knows

7. watermelon1 - Jun 30, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Wasn’t everyone saying they will trade either wade or lebron this summer and rebuild to have more overall talent and less superstars?

Oh right… They ended up winning the title and everyone stopped with that nonsensical jibberish.

8. cjsamms - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Using the Amnesty on Miller won’t get them below the cap to give them the full midlevel, so there’s really no reason to do it. Only way to get below the cap using the Amnesty is on one of their Big 3.

9. jleon1 - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Please correct me if I’m wrong as I am too lazy to look up the exact figures, so I have only approximated the following proposed luxury taxes for Mike Miller(MM). MM’s salary for 2012-2013 is set at 5.8 mil.. Miami’s luxury tax on 5.8 mil will also be 5.8 mil., for a total of 11.6 mil. in player expense.
    In 2013-2014 the luxury tax increases to x1.75 (repeaters penalty). In 2013-2014 MM’s salary will be 6.2 mil.. Miami’s luxury tax of (x1.75) for his salary of 6.2 mil. will cost Miami 10.85 mil. in tax alone. This will bring MM’s player cost to approx. 17.05 mil. For 2013-2014.
    MM’s salary for 2014-2015 season will be 6.6 mil. Miami’s luxury tax penalty of (x2.5) for his salary of 6.6 mil. will cost Miami 16.5 mil. for 2014-2015 in tax alone. This will bring MM’s player cost to approx. 23.1 mil. For 2014-2015.
    For the next 3 years Miami will pay MM a total of 18.6 million in salary. Miami will pay a total of 33.15 million in repeater’s luxury tax, plus his salary of 18.6 million for a total of 51.75 million dollars. Mike Miller cannot be responsible for Miami being over the luxury tax in repeating years, but his salary has to be included in the tax penalty it helps to cause. This gets me back to the reason I am commenting. Mike Miller did practically nothing this summer to address his severe back pain. I am a chronic back pain patient that knows what severe back pain can do to a person. If surgery cannot relieve Miller of his pain, then rehabbing will not fix it either. The pain will continue to get worse, not better.
    Why does Miller continue to hurt his team by barely getting up and down the floor? If you watch the playoff films you will see a player that can no longer effectively play defense, and just stands in one spot doubled over in pain waiting for a pass to shoot a three. I ask you, do you recall any play where he drove to the basket, ran a fast break, or dove for a loose ball? The answer is No. Somehow Miller managed to have a good game in game 5 of the playoffs, but that was only 1 of 20 something games. Mike Miller is a wonderful person and I am a total fan of his. I have no animosity against him other than ask why he will not retire and give up a roster spot (and team salary relief) to a player that can do these things, at a cheaper price. I will not go so far as to say he is hurting his team, but I will say that if he still has severe pain in training camp, he should retire. I am sure he does not need the money after 12 seasons as a pro making millions.
    Miami is holding on to Miller for what reason, his 5 points per game? I don’t get it, the bottom dollar is Miami is going to pay nearly 52 million dollars in the next 3 years for a player that averages 5 points and 2.5 rebounds per game……..52 MILLION DOLLARS…(smh)

• jleon1 - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:42 AM

I have been lying awake in bed for 4 hours now and think my figures are wrong. I mistakenly based my calculations on all of MM’s salary going against the luxury tax. Thats just unfair as there are 15 other players that contribute to the tax. I apoligize to Mike for being wrong with my math, it never was my best subject. Once you post a comment here there is no way to retract it 6 hours later. I do stand behind my belief that an unhealthy Miller is not worth carrying for 3 more years. This issue will clear itself up in due time. In the mean time please forgive my math.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches