Jun 29, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
This is not about next season. This is not Scott Brooks part two.
But it is about the long term in Chicago. And it is about leverage in negotiations. And because the Bulls are not “the Bulls” without Tom Thibodeau and his defense and intensity, he has leverage in contract talks.
The Bulls picked up Thibodeau’s option for next season but the two sides are talking about a long-term deal. But they are not on the same page right now, reports the Chicago Tribune.
And while Tom Thibodeau’s contract extension talks have been ongoing for awhile, significant work remains, according to sources with knowledge of the discussions.
While one source warned the lack of a deal is typical for this stage of negotiations, it’s impossible not to see parallels with the Scott Skiles’ situation from June 2005. Thibodeau’s option for 2012-13 has been picked up. However, after progress on an extension preceding last season, the two sides lately have stalled on contract length and value.
There is a lot of time for this to get figured out, but it’s something to watch.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 0
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 22
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 8
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36