Jun 29, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
We told you last night just as the draft was ramping up this is how it would go down — Dallas was trading Lamar Odom to the Los Angeles Clippers, the Clippers were sending Mo Williams to Utah, and Dallas was saving a lot of cash.
The catch was Williams had to pick up his $8.5 million option for next year. The AP reported
Williams did and made it official today. Here is a quote from his agent Mark Bartelstein saying they were not trying to block the deal, via Ramon Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com on twitter.
“There was no blocking going on. When you make a decision like this, you want to study it closely…. But the more we looked at it, the more excited we were about going back to Utah. Mo’s very happy to be going back there.”
The paperwork on this deal still needs to be filed with the league. But it will be.
If you’re asking what the Mavericks get out of this, they save $2.4 million. Even Mark Cuban thinks that’s a lot o money.
If that gets done in time on Friday, the Clippers can opt to buy out Odom’s $8.2 million deal for $2.4 million. But it appears they will keep him, having him as a backup big behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan. Getting depth up front was one of the off-season goals for the Clippers. Getting a new GM should be another.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 10
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 17
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 13
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP