Jun 29, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
We told you last night just as the draft was ramping up this is how it would go down — Dallas was trading Lamar Odom to the Los Angeles Clippers, the Clippers were sending Mo Williams to Utah, and Dallas was saving a lot of cash.
The catch was Williams had to pick up his $8.5 million option for next year. The AP reported
Williams did and made it official today. Here is a quote from his agent Mark Bartelstein saying they were not trying to block the deal, via Ramon Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com on twitter.
“There was no blocking going on. When you make a decision like this, you want to study it closely…. But the more we looked at it, the more excited we were about going back to Utah. Mo’s very happy to be going back there.”
The paperwork on this deal still needs to be filed with the league. But it will be.
If you’re asking what the Mavericks get out of this, they save $2.4 million. Even Mark Cuban thinks that’s a lot o money.
If that gets done in time on Friday, the Clippers can opt to buy out Odom’s $8.2 million deal for $2.4 million. But it appears they will keep him, having him as a backup big behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan. Getting depth up front was one of the off-season goals for the Clippers. Getting a new GM should be another.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49