Jun 29, 2012, 6:31 PM EST
We told you last night just as the draft was ramping up this is how it would go down — Dallas was trading Lamar Odom to the Los Angeles Clippers, the Clippers were sending Mo Williams to Utah, and Dallas was saving a lot of cash.
The catch was Williams had to pick up his $8.5 million option for next year. The AP reported
Williams did and made it official today. Here is a quote from his agent Mark Bartelstein saying they were not trying to block the deal, via Ramon Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com on twitter.
“There was no blocking going on. When you make a decision like this, you want to study it closely…. But the more we looked at it, the more excited we were about going back to Utah. Mo’s very happy to be going back there.”
The paperwork on this deal still needs to be filed with the league. But it will be.
If you’re asking what the Mavericks get out of this, they save $2.4 million. Even Mark Cuban thinks that’s a lot o money.
If that gets done in time on Friday, the Clippers can opt to buy out Odom’s $8.2 million deal for $2.4 million. But it appears they will keep him, having him as a backup big behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan. Getting depth up front was one of the off-season goals for the Clippers. Getting a new GM should be another.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 7
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6