Jun 29, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
We told you last night just as the draft was ramping up this is how it would go down — Dallas was trading Lamar Odom to the Los Angeles Clippers, the Clippers were sending Mo Williams to Utah, and Dallas was saving a lot of cash.
The catch was Williams had to pick up his $8.5 million option for next year. The AP reported
Williams did and made it official today. Here is a quote from his agent Mark Bartelstein saying they were not trying to block the deal, via Ramon Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com on twitter.
“There was no blocking going on. When you make a decision like this, you want to study it closely…. But the more we looked at it, the more excited we were about going back to Utah. Mo’s very happy to be going back there.”
The paperwork on this deal still needs to be filed with the league. But it will be.
If you’re asking what the Mavericks get out of this, they save $2.4 million. Even Mark Cuban thinks that’s a lot o money.
If that gets done in time on Friday, the Clippers can opt to buy out Odom’s $8.2 million deal for $2.4 million. But it appears they will keep him, having him as a backup big behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan. Getting depth up front was one of the off-season goals for the Clippers. Getting a new GM should be another.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 20
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14