Jun 29, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Team USA takes another blow to its front line.
Chris Bosh played through an injury to beat Boston and win an NBA championship, but he never fully recovered from his abdominal strain that had him out for nine games of the playoffs.
To recover from that, he has pulled his name from consideration for the United States Olympic Team headed to London, reports the Associated Press after speaking with Bosh’s agent.
Pat Riley suggested this might be coming, via Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida.
“Chris is still nursing an injury,” Riley said. “He had a significant abdominal injury. If we weren’t in the playoffs against Boston, he probably would not have played for another three or four weeks.”
Losing Bosh leaves Team USA a little thin along the front lines — Dwight Howard and LaMarcus Aldridge have already withdrawn their names due to injury (as has Derrick Rose). That will leave Tyson Chandler as the starting and only traditional center, after that guys like Kevin Love will need to step in and play the five.
The USA will still be loaded with talent, but missing those guys along the front line will matter if, as expected, Team USA has to face Spain for the Gold medal. Spain starts Marc and Pau Gasol up front and brings Serge Ibaka off the bench, the USA will need size to combat that.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 38
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18