Jun 29, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Team USA takes another blow to its front line.
Chris Bosh played through an injury to beat Boston and win an NBA championship, but he never fully recovered from his abdominal strain that had him out for nine games of the playoffs.
To recover from that, he has pulled his name from consideration for the United States Olympic Team headed to London, reports the Associated Press after speaking with Bosh’s agent.
Pat Riley suggested this might be coming, via Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida.
“Chris is still nursing an injury,” Riley said. “He had a significant abdominal injury. If we weren’t in the playoffs against Boston, he probably would not have played for another three or four weeks.”
Losing Bosh leaves Team USA a little thin along the front lines — Dwight Howard and LaMarcus Aldridge have already withdrawn their names due to injury (as has Derrick Rose). That will leave Tyson Chandler as the starting and only traditional center, after that guys like Kevin Love will need to step in and play the five.
The USA will still be loaded with talent, but missing those guys along the front line will matter if, as expected, Team USA has to face Spain for the Gold medal. Spain starts Marc and Pau Gasol up front and brings Serge Ibaka off the bench, the USA will need size to combat that.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50