Jun 28, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT
Youth movement? What youth movement?
The Phoenix Suns have admitted they need to upgrade their roster if they plan to keep Steve Nash from leaving them as a free agent this summer (even though they do have the advantage of being able to offer more money than anyone else).
So, how about Ray Allen to go with Grant Hill and Nash in what would not exactly be the youngest starting five in the league? The Suns are going to give it a shot, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Phoenix Suns have surfaced as serious contenders to sign Boston Celtics free agent Ray Allen, league sources told Yahoo! Sports….
The Suns have significant salary-cap space, and could pay Allen more than the Miami Heat or New York Knicks. Suns president Lon Babby had been Allen’s agent for a significant part of his career until Babby started running Phoenix’s basketball operations two years ago.
As a lure for Allen, they also have a training staff that consistently seems to be able to turn back time for players. Like Grant Hill. Even Shaq was healthy there.
The consensus around the league is that Allen is likely headed to the Heat to chase another ring, but Wojnarowski says the Celtics are still in play (although he would come off the bench behind Avery Bradley) and other offers such as the Knicks will come in. It’s also expected the Clippers would make a run at him as they need a two guard, but first they need to get a GM.
As for Nash, he’s playing his cards close to the vest. But the Suns likely remain the favorite to retain his services.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 43
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4