Jun 28, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Sacramento’s No. 5 overall pick has been in play since pretty much the night of the draft lottery.
The Houston Rockets have spent the last few days making smaller moves and working hard to get high up in the draft — either to draft Andre Drummond or to turn that high pick into a player like Pau Gasol or Josh Smith.
So, a match made in heaven?
Maybe, but not yet reports ESPN. If it happens, it will happen during the draft.
Trade talks between the Sacramento Kings and Houston Rockets have intensified in the hours leading up to Thursday night’s NBA draft and have put the Rockets in pole position to acquire the Kings’ No. 5 pick if Sacramento elects to trade it, according to sources close to the process.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Kings plan to wait as long as possible before committing to the trade to see who falls to them at No. 5. It’s believed that Sacramento will walk away from the trade if Kansas’ Thomas Robinson is still available after four picks are made.
Robinson isn’t expected to last to No. 5 — he could go as high as second to the Bobcats or maybe fourth to the Cavaliers — but with things in flux it is never out of the question. The Kings have decided to play it close, to wait and see before making a move.
But this is one to watch. We could have two or three trades inside the top five during the draft. (Charlotte is shopping the No. 2 and Cleveland the No. 4).
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54