Jun 28, 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
I’m higher on North Carolina’s shot-blocking forward John Henson than most, or at least most not wearing powder blue.
And if he falls to No. 9, which is highly likely, look for the Detroit Pistons to grab him, reports the Detroit Free Press.
Henson is the likely pick. The Pistons like his makeup and, despite concerns about his frame, he was able to gain nearly 40 pounds during his three seasons at North Carolina, so he figures to put the work in. He projects to be a plus defender, and with shot-blocking at a premium with the way the game is called now, Henson figures to be a contributor.
You can see Henson as a defensive and rebounding force next to Greg Monroe, them making a solid pairing going forward. Build from defense. Henson also showed offensive improvement each year at UNC and while he’s still raw he could develop into a respectable player at that end of the floor.
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 11
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 17
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 51
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22