Jun 28, 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
I’m higher on North Carolina’s shot-blocking forward John Henson than most, or at least most not wearing powder blue.
And if he falls to No. 9, which is highly likely, look for the Detroit Pistons to grab him, reports the Detroit Free Press.
Henson is the likely pick. The Pistons like his makeup and, despite concerns about his frame, he was able to gain nearly 40 pounds during his three seasons at North Carolina, so he figures to put the work in. He projects to be a plus defender, and with shot-blocking at a premium with the way the game is called now, Henson figures to be a contributor.
You can see Henson as a defensive and rebounding force next to Greg Monroe, them making a solid pairing going forward. Build from defense. Henson also showed offensive improvement each year at UNC and while he’s still raw he could develop into a respectable player at that end of the floor.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13