Nowitzki says he’d love to have Deron Williams in Dallas. Ya think?

Jun 28, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Miami Heat - Game Six Getty Images

The recruitment of Deron Williams is picking up steam, and we haven’t even gotten to July 1 yet.

The Nets put a big billboard wishing Williams a happy birthday in front of his house. Delonte West has been on twitter trying to recruit Williams to Boston despite the fact West himself is now a free agent who may well not be back in Dallas.

Now Dirk Nowitzki told KTCK radio — as transcribed by the Dallas Morning News — the obvious, that he’d like to have Williams on the Mavericks.

“I’m anxious. We’d love to get D-Will (Deron Williams) in here. That’s no secret. If you look at the league now, if you look at those top teams, they all have two or three playmakers you can hand the ball to and they do their thing. We just need to get better….

He’s a good dude. He’s a competitor. He’s one of the one of the best point guards in this league. He’s athletic. He can shoot. He can get to the basket. He can pass. He’s a great all-around weapon. We’d love to have him run the show here. We’ll see what he decides. I hope we have a good shot.”

Even the Mavericks front office seems to think Williams is leaning toward Brooklyn, but I think he’s going to meet with both and give both sides a real chance to win him over. But he has consistently said he wants to make a fast decision so that is not hanging over him during the Olympics, and Team USA camp opens July 5.

1. censoredpost - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I hear it’s hot in hell and people there want ice water…….

2. lakerluver - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I think I’d rather take my chances with Dirk and Cuban.

3. p1nch3dloaf - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM

He can have Raymond Felton…

4. mrjune5th - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I can’t see a reason to stay with the Nets. Granted Dallas has to make improvements to their roster but the advantage gon them f having Dirk Nowitzki. Pairing him with Deron Williams would be a great tandem an more likely to attract other free agents to come to town. Resigning with the Nets and Williams runs the risk of being alone again. I don’t see them getting Dwight Howard and though Gerald Wallace is a good player, two things: 1) it’s not guarantee he’s coming back and 2) he’s no Dirk Nowitzki. Bottom line, if Deron Williams wants to compete his best bet is Dallas. If he wants to lose and get paid a max contract, it’s Brooklyn. I have him in Big D next season

5. rotaylla - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM

You will take ur chance selling cowboys boots and hats in Dallas with Cuban…lmao..

Handing out NBA's postseason awards