Jun 28, 2012, 2:19 PM EST
The recruitment of Deron Williams is picking up steam, and we haven’t even gotten to July 1 yet.
The Nets put a big billboard wishing Williams a happy birthday in front of his house. Delonte West has been on twitter trying to recruit Williams to Boston despite the fact West himself is now a free agent who may well not be back in Dallas.
“I’m anxious. We’d love to get D-Will (Deron Williams) in here. That’s no secret. If you look at the league now, if you look at those top teams, they all have two or three playmakers you can hand the ball to and they do their thing. We just need to get better….
He’s a good dude. He’s a competitor. He’s one of the one of the best point guards in this league. He’s athletic. He can shoot. He can get to the basket. He can pass. He’s a great all-around weapon. We’d love to have him run the show here. We’ll see what he decides. I hope we have a good shot.”
Even the Mavericks front office seems to think Williams is leaning toward Brooklyn, but I think he’s going to meet with both and give both sides a real chance to win him over. But he has consistently said he wants to make a fast decision so that is not hanging over him during the Olympics, and Team USA camp opens July 5.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13