Jun 28, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
The recruitment of Deron Williams is picking up steam, and we haven’t even gotten to July 1 yet.
The Nets put a big billboard wishing Williams a happy birthday in front of his house. Delonte West has been on twitter trying to recruit Williams to Boston despite the fact West himself is now a free agent who may well not be back in Dallas.
“I’m anxious. We’d love to get D-Will (Deron Williams) in here. That’s no secret. If you look at the league now, if you look at those top teams, they all have two or three playmakers you can hand the ball to and they do their thing. We just need to get better….
He’s a good dude. He’s a competitor. He’s one of the one of the best point guards in this league. He’s athletic. He can shoot. He can get to the basket. He can pass. He’s a great all-around weapon. We’d love to have him run the show here. We’ll see what he decides. I hope we have a good shot.”
Even the Mavericks front office seems to think Williams is leaning toward Brooklyn, but I think he’s going to meet with both and give both sides a real chance to win him over. But he has consistently said he wants to make a fast decision so that is not hanging over him during the Olympics, and Team USA camp opens July 5.
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 29
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 22
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 42
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5