Jun 28, 2012, 1:50 AM EDT
Connecticut center Andre Drummond is one of the great enigmas of this draft. To borrow the Bull Durham line, he’s got a million dollar body and a five-cent head. If he matures, his game matures and he brings real effort every night he could be the second best player in this draft. Or, he could just fade away.
Jerry West was being interviewed on a the CSN Bay Area’s Chronicle Live talk show about the Warriors plans for the draft — Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com was watching — and it sounds like the Warriors want nothing to do with Drummond, or a few other projects in this draft.
“We don’t want a player you’re going to have to wait on for two years,” West said on Chronicle Live. “We want someone who can play right away.”
That’s not Drummond. West wouldn’t say anything directly (he’s not saying much, he’s too smart for that) but seemed to back it up the no Drummond theory with this quote.
“Let me tell you something, the most difficult players to find are dirty-work players,” West said. “And I don’t mean that in the sense of beating people up. I mean that every single night you know they’re going to compete.
“One of the things, I think, this team really lacks is toughness. This year we’re going to get some toughness.”
Or maybe they trade out. Or up, to get Kidd-Gilchrist. At this point nothing would surprise me.
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 0
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 32
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?