Jun 28, 2012, 1:50 AM EST
Connecticut center Andre Drummond is one of the great enigmas of this draft. To borrow the Bull Durham line, he’s got a million dollar body and a five-cent head. If he matures, his game matures and he brings real effort every night he could be the second best player in this draft. Or, he could just fade away.
Jerry West was being interviewed on a the CSN Bay Area’s Chronicle Live talk show about the Warriors plans for the draft — Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com was watching — and it sounds like the Warriors want nothing to do with Drummond, or a few other projects in this draft.
“We don’t want a player you’re going to have to wait on for two years,” West said on Chronicle Live. “We want someone who can play right away.”
That’s not Drummond. West wouldn’t say anything directly (he’s not saying much, he’s too smart for that) but seemed to back it up the no Drummond theory with this quote.
“Let me tell you something, the most difficult players to find are dirty-work players,” West said. “And I don’t mean that in the sense of beating people up. I mean that every single night you know they’re going to compete.
“One of the things, I think, this team really lacks is toughness. This year we’re going to get some toughness.”
Or maybe they trade out. Or up, to get Kidd-Gilchrist. At this point nothing would surprise me.
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 4
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 5
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)