Jackson, Warriors issue statements on affair, extortion case

Jun 28, 2012, 2:58 PM EDT

Mark Jackson Warriors Getty Images

We told you earlier today about the FBI breaking up an extortion plot that targeted Warriors coach Mark Jackson. A former stripper with a criminal record teamed with another man to use nude photos, text messages and more that Jackson sent in an affair six years ago to extort money from him. The man and woman have been arrested.

Jackson still had a public relations situation to deal with. Jackson has been married 22 years to the same woman and is a minister of his own church in the Los Angeles area.

Thursday he released this statement:

My family and I were the victims of an extortion scheme.

The scheme began on April 3, 2012, when the Warriors were in Memphis to play the Grizzlies. A man approached me at the team hotel with personal information which he threatened to sell to a tabloid. At the time, he demanded a substantial sum of money. Regrettably, I paid him. In retrospect, I understand that this was a terrible lapse in judgment and a course of action I would not recommend to anyone.

Following the encounter in Memphis – a little over two weeks later – the extortionist sent an e-mail and phoned my wife, Desiree, making threats and demanding additional money. At that point, I informed the Warriors about the situation and asked for their guidance. We immediately notified the FBI, which promptly began an investigation.

The personal information in the extortion scheme related to a woman that I, mistakenly, had an extra-marital relationship with six years ago – prior to joining the Warriors – when I was a TV sports analyst. I made my wife aware of the relationship at that time, apologized to her and we reconciled. Obviously, my self-centered transgression at that time is not something I’m proud of, but I’m blessed to have an incredible wife, mother and partner and I thank the Lord for her each day.

I recognize the extremely poor judgment that I used both in having an affair six years ago – including the embarrassing communication I exhibited during that time – and in attempting to deal with the extortion scheme at first by myself. I made some egregious errors. I apologize for any embarrassment I may have caused my family, friends and, of course, the Warriors.

At that time in my life, I was not pastoring. Three years ago, my wife and I established a ministry. With deepest regret, I want to apologize to my Church Family.

I was wrong. We must live Holy.

To me, this is water under the bridge. How Jackson and his wife choose to deal their personal situation — even that the affair happened in the first place — is a personal matter.

The Golden State Warriors released this statement.

In response to media inquiries, Golden State Warriors Head Coach Mark Jackson today confirmed that he and his family were the victims of an extortion scheme attempting to blackmail them in exchange for money. The suspects were arrested on June 25 by the FBI.

Jackson informed the Warriors of the extortion scheme in late April – three weeks after his first encounter with the extortionist – and solicited help from the organization. At that point, Jackson and the Warriors immediately contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Although not condoning his previous actions that led to the extortion attempt, the Warriors fully support Coach Jackson during this time and thank law enforcement authorities and the FBI for their prompt assistance in helping Coach Jackson and his family.

1. gmen4life33 - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Can I get an AMEN!!! Thank you Lordddd! (Mark Jackson shimmy-shake)*

Not trying to make an anti-religion post, but pastors/priests/popes are just as “bad” as normal people, if not worse (at times abuse their power), and why people treat/view them any differently is beyond me.

• lawful1 - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM

how would you know. Are you one? have you been called? Not everyone that calls themself a preacher is, but you are quick to take them at there word so you can tear them down when you get ready, who made you God?

• gmen4life33 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:03 PM

How do I know? Havent you heard on the 100’s of reports of children being raped by priests? Or how the Pope knew this was going on, but allowed said priests to remain on their posts so “it wouldnt look bad for the Church”? Or how about all the diffrent news stories about pastors/preachers having affairs with others wifes and stealin money from donation meant form church?

Im not saying every pastors/priests/popes is bad, just like every other human isnt bad. But for those who hear so-and-so is associated with the Church and think, “he must be a good guy of high character”, is STUPID. A garbage man and a priest have the same chance of being a good person, loyal husband, and non-predator.

But keep believing what you want. Leave your children with priests unsupervised and donate your money to your pastor w/out knowing where it is going. Have fun with that.

• khadeemw - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM

you sound pretty ignorant…just because someone made a mistake/sin doesnt mean that they are a bad person…mistakes are a part of life…what we do after the mistake will distinguish the difference between the good or the bad…and what is the concept of normal people…because Mark Jackson is a believer he isnt normal?…c mon son…use your brain when making blog posts

• gmen4life33 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM

By normal, I meant not special. People assume priest/pastors are “special”, they are good and always do the right thing. You can trust them. All I am saying is that isnt true. You can tell me X is a retail manager and Y is a priest, and I would view them no differently in terms of charater and who is “better”. That is my point.

When Jackson got hired all I heard was about how he has such high character (due to his association with Church) and how he was going to get GS to play defense. Neither was true.

• hatrhurter - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

someone who cheats on their wife with a stripper, possibly bringing home a std, IS a bad person. mistakes are fine but this was not a mistake, he did it knowing full well what he was doing.

2. canehouse - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM

We are all humans (with the exception of cantonbound13, dirtybird, and the merry band of Heat haters, they are “perfect”)… who hasn’t made a mistake to varying degrees? Gotta give Jackson a break here… his wife certainly did.

3. censoredpost - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Well my god wouldn’t stand for this. My god happens to be a purple dragon named puff who fly’s through space and eats Faux Christians though. DON’T JUDGE ME LEST YE BE JUDGED.
    p.s. GO LAKESHOW!

• lawful1 - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Fortunately for the rest of us your god dissasppears when you wake up in reality…yo should try it sometime, its good here.

• censoredpost - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Hey my god makes as many appearances as yours in “reality”. Plus mine doesn’t have an affinity for young boys, pedobears, or religious Persecution of others by swords or bombs or whatever else is handy. Just saying, reality sucks.

• lawful1 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

The Great I Am never leaves you just dont want to admit He is There

• censoredpost - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM

How did you know my purple dragon skygod was named The Great I Am? Maybe I should start a cult….

• lawful1 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Jehovah is the GREAT I AM, not your hoodie and the blowfish imagination, and with that mentallity I’d say you are already in one, find Jesus, and find Him quickly for tommorrow is not promised, He loves you, the problem is that poeple make Christianity about people, but it is actually all about JESUS! if you would stop focusing on what finite people were doing then you would see Him and live. But instead all you believe is what the enemy leads you to see, and you think that is reality. it is like watching the news and thinking they are telling you nothing but the truth.

• hatrhurter - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM

we make christianity about people cause they are the only representatives of it we come across. you people are not christ like at all.

4. dysraw1 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM

it takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong, and even though this is nobody’s biz but Mark’s and his family,[way to handle the media Mark] to forgive is truely devine

5. thetooloftools - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM

If his wife can live with it… then everyone else without sin can cast the first stone.

• hojo20 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I’ll toss the first stone then.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Hojo’s = Howard Johsnon’s = without sin

6. mcqphx - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Reach out and touch faith.

7. henryd3rd - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Would someone please post a picture of this woman? Hey! I am just sayin

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches