Jun 28, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
This is not a new phenomenon. Every year every team with a draft pick gets calls about trading that pick.
But this year there seems to be more teams willing to listen. Starting with the Bobcats at No. 2 every pick seems available for the right price, and once you get into the 20s there are more people trying to move out than at a college dorm after finals have ended.
That includes Memphis at No. 25, reports the Commercial Appeal.
Internal talks about trading their 25th overall pick for a young veteran player have entered the forefront of the Grizzlies’ draft preparations. Team executives in favor of moving the pick lost out earlier this week when the Griz passed on a chance to acquire Houston small forward Chase Budinger. (Budinger went to Minnesota for the No. 18 pick)….
The Grizzlies were reluctant to part with the 25th pick before the draft. They prefer to gauge which players might be available at their pick before pulling the trigger on a deal, according to a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking.
Don’t be shocked if Rudy Gay is part of that deal. He is reportedly been offered as well.
I think you’re going to see a lot of movement in the draft this year, particularly in the 20s. Memphis may or may not be one of those doing the moving, but a lot of teams seem willing to make a trade to get a player they like or save some money with an expiring deal.
By the way Memphis, whoever you land at 25 will not be as good as Budinger. Just so you know.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 0
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 9
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 7
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0