Jun 28, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
This is not a new phenomenon. Every year every team with a draft pick gets calls about trading that pick.
But this year there seems to be more teams willing to listen. Starting with the Bobcats at No. 2 every pick seems available for the right price, and once you get into the 20s there are more people trying to move out than at a college dorm after finals have ended.
That includes Memphis at No. 25, reports the Commercial Appeal.
Internal talks about trading their 25th overall pick for a young veteran player have entered the forefront of the Grizzlies’ draft preparations. Team executives in favor of moving the pick lost out earlier this week when the Griz passed on a chance to acquire Houston small forward Chase Budinger. (Budinger went to Minnesota for the No. 18 pick)….
The Grizzlies were reluctant to part with the 25th pick before the draft. They prefer to gauge which players might be available at their pick before pulling the trigger on a deal, according to a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking.
Don’t be shocked if Rudy Gay is part of that deal. He is reportedly been offered as well.
I think you’re going to see a lot of movement in the draft this year, particularly in the 20s. Memphis may or may not be one of those doing the moving, but a lot of teams seem willing to make a trade to get a player they like or save some money with an expiring deal.
By the way Memphis, whoever you land at 25 will not be as good as Budinger. Just so you know.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 17
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28