Jun 28, 2012, 9:53 AM EST
This is not a new phenomenon. Every year every team with a draft pick gets calls about trading that pick.
But this year there seems to be more teams willing to listen. Starting with the Bobcats at No. 2 every pick seems available for the right price, and once you get into the 20s there are more people trying to move out than at a college dorm after finals have ended.
That includes Memphis at No. 25, reports the Commercial Appeal.
Internal talks about trading their 25th overall pick for a young veteran player have entered the forefront of the Grizzlies’ draft preparations. Team executives in favor of moving the pick lost out earlier this week when the Griz passed on a chance to acquire Houston small forward Chase Budinger. (Budinger went to Minnesota for the No. 18 pick)….
The Grizzlies were reluctant to part with the 25th pick before the draft. They prefer to gauge which players might be available at their pick before pulling the trigger on a deal, according to a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking.
Don’t be shocked if Rudy Gay is part of that deal. He is reportedly been offered as well.
I think you’re going to see a lot of movement in the draft this year, particularly in the 20s. Memphis may or may not be one of those doing the moving, but a lot of teams seem willing to make a trade to get a player they like or save some money with an expiring deal.
By the way Memphis, whoever you land at 25 will not be as good as Budinger. Just so you know.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 5
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 14
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36