Jun 28, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
This is not a new phenomenon. Every year every team with a draft pick gets calls about trading that pick.
But this year there seems to be more teams willing to listen. Starting with the Bobcats at No. 2 every pick seems available for the right price, and once you get into the 20s there are more people trying to move out than at a college dorm after finals have ended.
That includes Memphis at No. 25, reports the Commercial Appeal.
Internal talks about trading their 25th overall pick for a young veteran player have entered the forefront of the Grizzlies’ draft preparations. Team executives in favor of moving the pick lost out earlier this week when the Griz passed on a chance to acquire Houston small forward Chase Budinger. (Budinger went to Minnesota for the No. 18 pick)….
The Grizzlies were reluctant to part with the 25th pick before the draft. They prefer to gauge which players might be available at their pick before pulling the trigger on a deal, according to a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking.
Don’t be shocked if Rudy Gay is part of that deal. He is reportedly been offered as well.
I think you’re going to see a lot of movement in the draft this year, particularly in the 20s. Memphis may or may not be one of those doing the moving, but a lot of teams seem willing to make a trade to get a player they like or save some money with an expiring deal.
By the way Memphis, whoever you land at 25 will not be as good as Budinger. Just so you know.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 46
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 20
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6