Jun 28, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
That Dwyane Wade played as well as he did through the Heat’s title run considering how bad his left knee was in an impressive feat. And his knee was bad.
Wade has learned he will need knee surgery and today called USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo and coach Mike Krzyzewski to withdraw from Team USA for the London Olympics, reports Tim Reynolds at the Associated Press.
“I’ve decided to listen to my doctors and get the procedure I need on my knee,” Wade told The Associated Press on Thursday. “USA Basketball said I had to what was best for me. They want me to be obviously as healthy as possible so I can continue to play this game at a high level. They were very supportive and told me if I ever want to come around the team, I’m welcome and that I’m part of the family.”
This is not a total surprise to anyone who watched him through the playoffs, he was not his explosive self and had to have his knee drained of fluid during the Indiana series. However, Wade still averaged 22.8 points per game on 46 percent shooting for Miami.
Wade was expected to have an MRI this week before making any decisions on London and his recovery. That clearly told him all he needed to know.
Wade told the AP he expects to be back healthy and ready to go for Miami at training camp.
Colangelo said this about the Team USA’s depth heading into London to Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida:
“I think that with Chris Paul and Kobe and Deron Williams and Russell Westbrook, we’re in good shape.’’ Colangelo said James Harden and Eric Gordon will fight for a spot. Nothing is guaranteed with them.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 6
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 24
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31