Jun 28, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
The first trade of the draft moves a reliable big man to Cleveland, where he ideally can provide some balance to what the Cavs hope is a dynamic back court.
Dallas, they get a few more picks.
The first trade of a quiet NBA Draft night (relative to what was expected) has Dallas selecting then trading North Carolina center Tyler Zeller to Cleveland for the number 24, 33 and 34 picks in this draft.
Not a dramatic move for either team.
Zeller is solid and can step right in and give the Cavaliers some solid minutes inside — he can defend some, rebound, score a little in the paint and has a midrange game. He can set some picks for Kyrie Irving or Dion Waiters out top. He’s not an athletic freak, he’s not an NBA star, but he will give the Cavaliers solid minutes.
To get those minutes, they give up three picks to a Mavericks team trying to clear out cap space (hence the Lamar Odom trade). They want to make a run at Deron Williams among others (ultimately maybe Dwight Howard). Their No. 24 pick will be affordable and they can keep the second round picks if they like the player or cut them loose.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 7
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional