Jun 28, 2012, 8:42 AM EDT
Family has to take priority.
It does for Doc Rivers, who is not going to be in the Celtics draft war room during the NBA Draft Thursday night, he’s going to be hanging with his lottery pick son Austin. That’s what Celtics GM Danny Ainge told the AP.
“(Rivers is heading to New York with Austin,” general manager Danny Ainge said Wednesday, “which is where he should be….
“He’s in a happy place,” Ainge said at the team’s workout facility. “He’s loose and laid back and playing golf.”
It’s really not that big a deal, Ainge is making the call on the pick anyway. If he wants Rivers’ opinion he has his cell number.
The Celtics have the No. 21 and 22 picks, and they have floated around the idea of trading those. But more likely the Celtics use those picks — they have just four guys under contract for next year and if they bring back Kevin Garnett, and go get a veteran or two, they could use some affordable rookies to fill out the roster.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 2
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 47
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61