Jun 28, 2012, 8:42 AM EDT
Family has to take priority.
It does for Doc Rivers, who is not going to be in the Celtics draft war room during the NBA Draft Thursday night, he’s going to be hanging with his lottery pick son Austin. That’s what Celtics GM Danny Ainge told the AP.
“(Rivers is heading to New York with Austin,” general manager Danny Ainge said Wednesday, “which is where he should be….
“He’s in a happy place,” Ainge said at the team’s workout facility. “He’s loose and laid back and playing golf.”
It’s really not that big a deal, Ainge is making the call on the pick anyway. If he wants Rivers’ opinion he has his cell number.
The Celtics have the No. 21 and 22 picks, and they have floated around the idea of trading those. But more likely the Celtics use those picks — they have just four guys under contract for next year and if they bring back Kevin Garnett, and go get a veteran or two, they could use some affordable rookies to fill out the roster.
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 75
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12