Jun 28, 2012, 8:42 AM EDT
Family has to take priority.
It does for Doc Rivers, who is not going to be in the Celtics draft war room during the NBA Draft Thursday night, he’s going to be hanging with his lottery pick son Austin. That’s what Celtics GM Danny Ainge told the AP.
“(Rivers is heading to New York with Austin,” general manager Danny Ainge said Wednesday, “which is where he should be….
“He’s in a happy place,” Ainge said at the team’s workout facility. “He’s loose and laid back and playing golf.”
It’s really not that big a deal, Ainge is making the call on the pick anyway. If he wants Rivers’ opinion he has his cell number.
The Celtics have the No. 21 and 22 picks, and they have floated around the idea of trading those. But more likely the Celtics use those picks — they have just four guys under contract for next year and if they bring back Kevin Garnett, and go get a veteran or two, they could use some affordable rookies to fill out the roster.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48