Jun 28, 2012, 8:42 AM EST
Family has to take priority.
It does for Doc Rivers, who is not going to be in the Celtics draft war room during the NBA Draft Thursday night, he’s going to be hanging with his lottery pick son Austin. That’s what Celtics GM Danny Ainge told the AP.
“(Rivers is heading to New York with Austin,” general manager Danny Ainge said Wednesday, “which is where he should be….
“He’s in a happy place,” Ainge said at the team’s workout facility. “He’s loose and laid back and playing golf.”
It’s really not that big a deal, Ainge is making the call on the pick anyway. If he wants Rivers’ opinion he has his cell number.
The Celtics have the No. 21 and 22 picks, and they have floated around the idea of trading those. But more likely the Celtics use those picks — they have just four guys under contract for next year and if they bring back Kevin Garnett, and go get a veteran or two, they could use some affordable rookies to fill out the roster.
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)