Jun 27, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
Dwyane Wade’s knee was drained once during the playoffs, but for most of the postseason it was his knee draining his game.
Wade’s trademark explosivness was gone, there was not much lift on his jumper, he moved more slowly than normal. He became a second option to LeBron
In the coming weeks he is going to have doctors look at his knee — that will determine if he needs surgery and if he can play in the Olympics — but he is not using that as an excuse for his down (by his standards) playoff performance.
Wade said he might work with a shooting coach “for the first time ever” after a postseason in which he shot 31 percent on mid-range jumpers (50 for 163) and 29 percent on three-pointers (10 for 34).
The goal, he said, “is to try to do more in the sense of my three-point game and midrange game, getting that back. My mechanics aren’t that bad. I don’t have an ugly shot, not one of those Shawn Marion shots. There are certain things in my shot I can change.”
During the regular season Wade was better from the midrange — he shot 39.4 percent from 15 feet out to the arc, and just 26.8 percent from three — but not good. The jump shot has never been his bread and butter, his ability to get to the rim has been. But as his body ages and slows he’s going to need to adjust his game, and he’s going to need that jumper more and more. A shooting coach speaks to his maturity.
But first, Wade’s knee is needs to be looked at.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15