Jun 27, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
Dwyane Wade’s knee was drained once during the playoffs, but for most of the postseason it was his knee draining his game.
Wade’s trademark explosivness was gone, there was not much lift on his jumper, he moved more slowly than normal. He became a second option to LeBron
In the coming weeks he is going to have doctors look at his knee — that will determine if he needs surgery and if he can play in the Olympics — but he is not using that as an excuse for his down (by his standards) playoff performance.
Wade said he might work with a shooting coach “for the first time ever” after a postseason in which he shot 31 percent on mid-range jumpers (50 for 163) and 29 percent on three-pointers (10 for 34).
The goal, he said, “is to try to do more in the sense of my three-point game and midrange game, getting that back. My mechanics aren’t that bad. I don’t have an ugly shot, not one of those Shawn Marion shots. There are certain things in my shot I can change.”
During the regular season Wade was better from the midrange — he shot 39.4 percent from 15 feet out to the arc, and just 26.8 percent from three — but not good. The jump shot has never been his bread and butter, his ability to get to the rim has been. But as his body ages and slows he’s going to need to adjust his game, and he’s going to need that jumper more and more. A shooting coach speaks to his maturity.
But first, Wade’s knee is needs to be looked at.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 0
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 13
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 19
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 9
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19