Jun 27, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
Dwyane Wade’s knee was drained once during the playoffs, but for most of the postseason it was his knee draining his game.
Wade’s trademark explosivness was gone, there was not much lift on his jumper, he moved more slowly than normal. He became a second option to LeBron
In the coming weeks he is going to have doctors look at his knee — that will determine if he needs surgery and if he can play in the Olympics — but he is not using that as an excuse for his down (by his standards) playoff performance.
Wade said he might work with a shooting coach “for the first time ever” after a postseason in which he shot 31 percent on mid-range jumpers (50 for 163) and 29 percent on three-pointers (10 for 34).
The goal, he said, “is to try to do more in the sense of my three-point game and midrange game, getting that back. My mechanics aren’t that bad. I don’t have an ugly shot, not one of those Shawn Marion shots. There are certain things in my shot I can change.”
During the regular season Wade was better from the midrange — he shot 39.4 percent from 15 feet out to the arc, and just 26.8 percent from three — but not good. The jump shot has never been his bread and butter, his ability to get to the rim has been. But as his body ages and slows he’s going to need to adjust his game, and he’s going to need that jumper more and more. A shooting coach speaks to his maturity.
But first, Wade’s knee is needs to be looked at.
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 0
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 5
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 30
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 9
- Clippers put on offensive showcase, take Game 1 vs. Spurs 10