Jun 27, 2012, 8:01 AM EST
Dwyane Wade’s knee was drained once during the playoffs, but for most of the postseason it was his knee draining his game.
Wade’s trademark explosivness was gone, there was not much lift on his jumper, he moved more slowly than normal. He became a second option to LeBron
In the coming weeks he is going to have doctors look at his knee — that will determine if he needs surgery and if he can play in the Olympics — but he is not using that as an excuse for his down (by his standards) playoff performance.
Wade said he might work with a shooting coach “for the first time ever” after a postseason in which he shot 31 percent on mid-range jumpers (50 for 163) and 29 percent on three-pointers (10 for 34).
The goal, he said, “is to try to do more in the sense of my three-point game and midrange game, getting that back. My mechanics aren’t that bad. I don’t have an ugly shot, not one of those Shawn Marion shots. There are certain things in my shot I can change.”
During the regular season Wade was better from the midrange — he shot 39.4 percent from 15 feet out to the arc, and just 26.8 percent from three — but not good. The jump shot has never been his bread and butter, his ability to get to the rim has been. But as his body ages and slows he’s going to need to adjust his game, and he’s going to need that jumper more and more. A shooting coach speaks to his maturity.
But first, Wade’s knee is needs to be looked at.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 11
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 13
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 21
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 7
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18