Video: David Letterman asks LeBron Cleveland questions

Jun 27, 2012, 9:19 AM EDT

David Letterman is a Midwestern boy — born in the basketball state of Indiana, attended college at Ball State. From the day of “the decision” Letterman sounded like a lot of Americans who were frustrated with LeBron James and Letterman poked at him in his monologues.

When LeBron strolled onto his stage Tuesday night, Letterman didn’t back off: “Now that you’ve got this out of your system, are you ready to go back to Cleveland and play some ball?” LeBron laughed and said right now he’s not playing ball anywhere. Letterman said he was furious at LeBron and talked about it for a while, LeBron handled the questions pretty well.

The interview also talked Heat, cramping in the finals and the upcoming London Olympics.

Hat tip to HoopsHype.

1. canehouse - Jun 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Good stuff… Lebron represented the Miami Heat very well! LET’S GO LEBRON! USA USA USA!!!!

So will the haters (AND THERE ARE TONS OF YOU… DON’T TRY TO JUMP ON OUR WAGON NOW)… be rooting for Team USA to fail this summer?

• drunkenjunk - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM

i don’t like lebron at all. But I will never root against the US because he is on the team. I look forward to Lebron smashing all the euro competition. I’ll be a fan of his for the summer.

2. monkeyhateclean - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Can’t speak for his other haters, but I can’t root for Team USA with Lebron on it. If he could play for Team China or Team DPRK it would really help me out.

• reesesteel23 - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

There is NO way you’re American…

• monkeyhateclean - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Worse, I’m from Cleveland.

• finalword33 - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Worse, you, Cleveland and Dan Gilbert sucks cause you had nothing to offer Lebron.

• finalword33 - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Not all the money in the world could keep Lebron in Cleveland. It’s pretty hilarious, really.

• delfi2 - Jun 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM

you, sir, are a moron. go fly away now and leave us real Americans alone

• uofmichiganlady - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM

That is ridiculous!! I am a Cleveland fan too and not a fan of LeBron, but I’m still gonna root for my country! Why should the rest of the team be punished cuz you don’t like one of the athletes?! Ignorant.

3. shovelface55 - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I’m sick of all this “you’re a hater” bullshi*t. If you are a fan of a team, are you supposed to be happy that the best player in the league left your team? No, i’m pretty sure people who reacted that way are not real fans. I’m pretty sure when you are a fan of a team, you want THAT team to be the best team with the best players, not any other team. Are you supposed to say, “well it was his right to leave”? No, this isn’t some constitutional issue about rights; this is sports, not the real world. Anyone from Cleveland who was not utterly upset that LBJ left is not a Cavs fan, they are a front running *********. This is about sports, and wanting your team to win, and if that means I am a “hater” because I want every team to lose except mine, then I guess I’m a hater. But that’s better than being an idiot, which is what everyone who claims Clevelanders don’t have a right to hate LBJ is. However, I will root for the USA because I’m American, sorry monkeyhateclean, you need to get your priorities cleaned up. O, and I don’t hate Lebron as a person, because I don’t know him.

4. miamatt - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I was somewhat amazed at how much Dave kept trying to talk about Cleveland. Even more amazed that LeBron didn’t give up any media fodder in his responses.

5. lawful1 - Jun 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM

monkeyhateclean – Jun 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Worse, I’m from Cleveland.

So Am I as much as I hate to admit it but you are one lame dude if you wont cheer for your country b/c you hate so person you think you know that you dont and you think that owes you but they dont, and you think you made them who they were but you didnt, and cause you think you’re God and trust me son….YOU”RE NOT!

6. southpaw77 - Jun 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM

So is Letterman a hater too or is he allowed to ask tough questions.

Lebron wanted no part of the Cleveland questions, being asked about the mysterious elbow injury, shooting just 14 times vs Boston in game 5 of the 2010 playoffs, not answering any calls from potential free agents, and so on is taboo.
    Now everyone is a Lebron jock rider, Miami Heat fan all of a sudden and pointing out these things makes one a hater. *rolls eyes*
    Click thumbs down if you were a Lakers fan two years ago and now front run with Miami cause we know the Heat have a long and storied fan base. Ha!

• miamatt - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I’ve been a Heat fan (born and raised in Miami) since the days of Jon Sunvold, Kevin Edwards, Sherman Douglas, Roni Seikaly, etc….

I went lived in Chicago during the 2nd Bulls 3-peat, and lived in Boston from before the start of their “big 3″ era up until this past February, so I had plenty of reasonable opportunities to jump ship, and I never did for a second. Every other Heat fan I know is practically the same. If you want to judge a fanbase based on what some dopes post on message boards or the lazy journalism that tosses grenades at Heat fans, go right ahead. We’re too busy enjoying this moment to care about your sour grapes.

I don’t consider reasonable criticism of the Heat to be ‘hating’, but why should LeBron jump into Letterman’s snare about Cleveland? It’s over and done with, and if I were LeBron, I wold have learned by now that the less I say about Cleveland, the better. Did Jordan need to talk about losing to the Pistons for three straight years after winning a title?

• truthhurtstoo - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

The HEAT fan base is just fine…. not for you to worry. 400,000 in the streets for the Victory parade should give you an idea. The franchise hasn’t been around as long as some but also has 2 rings since 2006. (2 Finals MVP’s as well)

So, as said, don’t worry about the World Champions… we’re all find here.

• drunkenjunk - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM

usually if you win the title, you get the finals MVP. That’s the dumbest thing to brag about. Also its fine not find.

• edweird0 - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

You say usually cause you know there’s been an instance were it wasn’t like that smartass

• canehouse - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Fuk you pal… you have no idea about our fan base… not sure where you call home or which team you care about… but there a lot more true die-hard HEAT fans than you want to believe. Where r u from?

7. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Thought it was in very poor taste for Letterman to ask LBJ about Cleveland. Would he ask Brad Pitt if he got Angelina Jolie out of his system and was ready to go back to Jennifer Aniston?

The Late Show is supposed to be a funny show. It’s not a hard-hitting news show. LBJ is not media savvy, and he’s probably still drunk. Letterman’s job in this situation is to make LBJ funny, likeable, and interesting. To question LBJ about Cleveland is to set him up to say something inflammatory, and LBJ did an awesome job of getting around the question without saying anything noteworthy at all.

He was a free agent. He wanted to play in Miami. Miami and Cleveland worked a sign and trade so everybody got something out of the deal. Get over it people.

Oh, and by the way the Miami Heat’s LeBron James is league MVP and Finals MVP; and the Miami Heat won the World Championship. Just in case you didn’t know.

8. hbdbrowns33 - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM

No one in Cleveland cares. The only reason this keeps getting brought up is because people in the national media won’t let it go. NO ONE CARES HERE.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Yeah, and Jennifer Aniston doesn’t care about Brad Pitt.

Read monkeyhateclean’s posts from just a few hours ago. It’s the third and 5th posts from the top. Cleveland cares. They care big time.

And although, I can understand the pain associated with losing free agents, burning the guy’s jersey in the street? The owner tweeting his ridiculousness? The Cleveland crown acting like they did when the Heat came to town?….when you act like that, the stigma will stick. Jilted, Sad, Pathetic, No life. They all apply.

The town of Cleveland’s and the Cavs organization’s behavior these past few years has been that of complete classlessness, and immuturity, and in some situations, criminally so. So no, the national media won’t, nor should they, let you forget it.

• lawful1 - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I beg to differ on that one.

9. redbullenergydrink - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Apparently Mr. Letterman forgot about his move from NBC to CBS (which was financially driven). Lebron made his move for a championship. Can you blame either?

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview