Jun 27, 2012, 10:36 AM EST
You want your team to jump ahead of everyone (except New Orleans) and pick up Thomas Robinson or Bradley Beal high in the draft? The Bobcats are shopping the No. 2 pick around, you can jump up and get your man.
The price? You have to take on Tyrus Thomas.
According to multiple sources, the Bobcats are trying to convince teams interested in the second pick to also take back disappointing power forward Tyrus Thomas, who has more than $26 million remaining on his contract. Thomas is coming off the worst season since his rookie year as he averaged just 5.6 points and 3.7 rebounds. When asked if teams would be willing to touch Thomas, one Western Conference executive said, “I don’t think so.”
The Post also says the Wizards are getting a lot of calls at No. 3 pick. Owner Ted Leonsis has said in the past he wants to build through the draft and would not trade the pick. Then again, they just traded for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza, which is pretty much opposite of building through the draft and more like trying to become mediocre through trades. Still, it likely takes a monster offer to get Washington to give up the three.
In the end I think nobody touches Thomas. However, the Bobcats might still well make a trade with Cleveland, giving the Cavs the No. 2 and taking their No. 4 and the No. 24 or early second rounders.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30