Jun 27, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
Deron Williams will be a free agent.
In a move long expected, Williams did not opt in and pick up the last year of his deal with the Brooklyn Nets, Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News tweeted.
This is a business move, even if he stays with the Nets he makes more by opting out and re-signing with the team.
The decision for Williams is reportedly down to Dallas or Brooklyn, and he seems to be leaning Brooklyn. The latest sign of that, if you’re reading the tea leafs, is that Williams invited Nets coach Avery Johnson to a small gathering celebrating his birthday on Tuesday.
What he has long said is he needs to be sure Brooklyn management is serious about building a contender around him. The Nets will be in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes whenever that gets ramped up again (this summer), but they had better have a Plan B.
Williams has said several times he hopes to have his decision made by the time he reports to Team USA training camp in Vegas July 6.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 0
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 6
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30