Jun 27, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
Deron Williams will be a free agent.
In a move long expected, Williams did not opt in and pick up the last year of his deal with the Brooklyn Nets, Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News tweeted.
This is a business move, even if he stays with the Nets he makes more by opting out and re-signing with the team.
The decision for Williams is reportedly down to Dallas or Brooklyn, and he seems to be leaning Brooklyn. The latest sign of that, if you’re reading the tea leafs, is that Williams invited Nets coach Avery Johnson to a small gathering celebrating his birthday on Tuesday.
What he has long said is he needs to be sure Brooklyn management is serious about building a contender around him. The Nets will be in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes whenever that gets ramped up again (this summer), but they had better have a Plan B.
Williams has said several times he hopes to have his decision made by the time he reports to Team USA training camp in Vegas July 6.
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 1
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 10
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10