Jun 27, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Deron Williams will be a free agent.
In a move long expected, Williams did not opt in and pick up the last year of his deal with the Brooklyn Nets, Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News tweeted.
This is a business move, even if he stays with the Nets he makes more by opting out and re-signing with the team.
The decision for Williams is reportedly down to Dallas or Brooklyn, and he seems to be leaning Brooklyn. The latest sign of that, if you’re reading the tea leafs, is that Williams invited Nets coach Avery Johnson to a small gathering celebrating his birthday on Tuesday.
What he has long said is he needs to be sure Brooklyn management is serious about building a contender around him. The Nets will be in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes whenever that gets ramped up again (this summer), but they had better have a Plan B.
Williams has said several times he hopes to have his decision made by the time he reports to Team USA training camp in Vegas July 6.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 47
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 20
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6