Jun 27, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Deron Williams will be a free agent.
In a move long expected, Williams did not opt in and pick up the last year of his deal with the Brooklyn Nets, Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News tweeted.
This is a business move, even if he stays with the Nets he makes more by opting out and re-signing with the team.
The decision for Williams is reportedly down to Dallas or Brooklyn, and he seems to be leaning Brooklyn. The latest sign of that, if you’re reading the tea leafs, is that Williams invited Nets coach Avery Johnson to a small gathering celebrating his birthday on Tuesday.
What he has long said is he needs to be sure Brooklyn management is serious about building a contender around him. The Nets will be in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes whenever that gets ramped up again (this summer), but they had better have a Plan B.
Williams has said several times he hopes to have his decision made by the time he reports to Team USA training camp in Vegas July 6.
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 2
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 12
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 7
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 12
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 45
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27