Jun 27, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
Deron Williams will be a free agent.
In a move long expected, Williams did not opt in and pick up the last year of his deal with the Brooklyn Nets, Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News tweeted.
This is a business move, even if he stays with the Nets he makes more by opting out and re-signing with the team.
The decision for Williams is reportedly down to Dallas or Brooklyn, and he seems to be leaning Brooklyn. The latest sign of that, if you’re reading the tea leafs, is that Williams invited Nets coach Avery Johnson to a small gathering celebrating his birthday on Tuesday.
What he has long said is he needs to be sure Brooklyn management is serious about building a contender around him. The Nets will be in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes whenever that gets ramped up again (this summer), but they had better have a Plan B.
Williams has said several times he hopes to have his decision made by the time he reports to Team USA training camp in Vegas July 6.
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Vintage Dwyane Wade sighting 0
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 21
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 11
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)