Baron Davis: “I am coming back.”

Jun 27, 2012, 5:09 PM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks - Game Three Getty Images

Baron Davis has a long, long road back.

He tore his ACL and his MCL — that’s hard to bounce back from if you are 23, not 33 like Davis. And Davis’ reputation has not been that of a guy who worked hard at his rehab or through the off-season to keep in top condition before this, is he really going to be dedicated to it now?

But Davis told the Daily News he is not done.

“I don’t know how long (for the brace and crutch), but once I am done, it’s on to rehab,” said Davis. “I am coming back.”

And he wants to stay and play in New York for the Knicks.

“I think that people, the fans are kids out here playing basketball right now, dedicating their lives to it, I felt that. I felt that NY is the mecca of basketball,” Davis said. “The love that I have for basketball, I feel it here. This is the best stage and the best opportunity, to play for a top-notch team.”

When he was in shape and on his game, dishing in transition not settling for pull-up threes, he was one of my favorite players to watch over the past decade. He played with joy. He played beautifully. He could light up a crowd like few others.

I wish we could live that again, but I just don’t see him coming back from this.

1. delfi2 - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM

it will tough, but have to admire the spirit. Heat fan here, fwiw. I would like to see him back with the Knicks, he can give my boys a good workout during the regular season. PLAAAYOFFS!!! get real

• knightrider1755 - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

The Knicks should take him back so when he’s injured the Knicks fans can have an excuse for why the Knicks were once again bounced out of the first round.

• truthhurtstoo - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

So true… man, his knee is/was messed up.

2. charlutes - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Rest of world: “Who cares?”

3. lawful1 - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM

if man is going to cry, it would be while injuring himself like Baron, or watching the video of it happening. Hope he can get back.

4. lakerluver - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM

B. D, needs to just go make movies or something. Dude hasn’t been healthy since he was in high school.

5. charlutes - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

He should get a wax statue.

6. thetooloftools - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM

He may not even get offers.

7. bougin89 - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Baron Davis has been one of the most overrated players in the NBA for too long. Just a huge waste of talent. It’s always “if he’s focused, he is one of the best”…but he’s never focused over a long period of time. He’s a waste of a roster spot at this point(if somebody gives him another chance).

8. marcusillius - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Sounds like he has a narcissistic personality disorder.

9. isd87 - Jun 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM

The issue isn’t the torn MCL ACL its the torn patella tendon. That’s why he is projected to miss a year or more.

10. proballerslounge - Jun 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM

• cosanostra71 - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Baron Davis wasn’t the #1 pick…

• proballerslounge - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I know that

11. 93warchant - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM

33 yrs old bad knees can’t defend there’s no role on any team for him. wheres the fork so i can stick it in him.

12. nokoolaidcowboy - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Time to move along and stay away from Davis. The Knicks got him while he was set to return from back problems. They rolled the dice and now at 33 he is not going to hold up any better. He could probably help someone out there coming off the bench (deep in the roster) but please, not the Knicks!

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview