Jun 26, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
Jeff Green came to the Celtics from Oklahoma City in 2011 as part of the trade that sent Kendrick Perkins to the Midwest. After his first 26 games in Boston Celtics fans were a little frustrated, but Green was exactly who he has been all along — spotty defender, can’t shoot the three, good in transition, very athletic. His PER didn’t change that season from OKC to Boston.
Green was going to be the sixth man for the Celtics this year but a serious heart condition that required surgery sidelined him.
Now comes this news from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo on twitter.
The NBA has granted Boston a 2013 second-round pick from Oklahoma City in a dispute over Jeff Green’s medical condition, sources tell Y!
Boston lodged a complaint with the NBA in the aftermath of Green’s heart condition, and were granted a 2013 second-rounder, sources tell Y!
This ruling implies that there was some sort of negligence or non-disclosure here by the Thunder. Every NBA player undergoes a rigorous physical and stress test that looks for, among other things, these kinds of heart conditions. If it had been serious the Thunder would not have had Green on the court with them. We don’t know what they knew and when they knew it.
But it was enough to cost them a second round pick next season (the Thunder have Charlotte’s second rounder for 2013 from a previous deal and will give up that one, Woj reports).
Green is a free agent but likely re-signs with the Celtics this summer.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 42
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 59
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23