Jun 26, 2012, 1:46 AM EDT
And we’re back to this stupid cycle again…
Dwight Howard and his camp are trying to exert control over where he gets traded. It was reported the Houston Rockets were trying to take some big steps to land Howard — trading their two first round picks (No. 14 and No. 16) and some players to land the No. 5 pick (Kings) and No. 8 pick (Raptors). Then the Rockets would flip those picks and a player like Kevin Martin to Orlando for Dwight Howard.
Howard by all accounts does not want to be a Rocket. Houston seems willing to take the risk that if they can trade for him they can convince him to stay, but Howard wants no part of this, according to David Aldridge of NBA.com.
…a source with knowledge of Howard’s thinking said Monday that there was “not a chance” Howard would be persuaded to remain in Houston if traded there, and would leave next summer to sign elsewhere.
It may be true, but to me this sounds like Howard’s people trying to scare off anyone that isn’t Brooklyn or other possible landing spots he wants.
The Rockets deal was never going to come together. First, new Magic GM Rob Hennigan just got on the job and he wants to sit down with Howard and take one more swing at convicing him to stay in Orlando.
When that fails — and it will fail — they will shop him around and take the best deal for them. If a team like Houston or Golden State is willing to take the risk on a rental of Howard and give the Magic the best offer, Hennigan will take it. At this point, the Magic aren’t going to worry about accomodaing Howard’s wishes.
So expect a lot of Howard rumors and a lot of his people saying off the record “he won’t re-sign there.” It’s going to be a fun cycle.
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 0
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 6
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 18
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 63