Jun 26, 2012, 9:24 PM EDT
Detroit just saved a lot of money and Charlotte just got someone who can at least put the ball in the hole.
The Pistons and Bobcats have swapped overpaid scorers, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
The deal will save the Pistons approximately $14.7 million on the two years remaining on Gordon’s contract. He’s slated to make $25.6 million over the term of his deal. Maggette has $10.9 million left on an expiring contract.
I like this move for Charlotte — they needed scoring last year (and defense, and rebounding and…) and if nothing else Gordon can bring that. Given a green light Gordon will be a gunner.
Last season Gordon scored 12.5 points per game on 44.2 percent shooting (and 42.9 percent from three). He hasn’t been the same player the past couple of years. When really given a green light back in Chicago he averaged more than 20 points a game twice. He hasn’t been terribly efficient in recent years and it would be good if he improved there, but basically he can provide scoring to an offense that needed it.
Detroit wanted out of Gordon’s contract — the fans and organization were down on him — and the price essentially was to give up the protected first round pick next year. This was about the money. The Pistons do add Corey Maggette who could give them scoring if he stays healthy – the guy will draw fouls and scored 15 points a game for Charlotte when he played last year, but he shot just 37.3 percent. He’s not on the upswing of his career at age 32, but if he can give them a few points and minutes off the bench it’s a bonus. Just with his injury history Pistons fans should temper expectations.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 19
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 4
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 38
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22