Jun 26, 2012, 9:24 PM EST
Detroit just saved a lot of money and Charlotte just got someone who can at least put the ball in the hole.
The Pistons and Bobcats have swapped overpaid scorers, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
The deal will save the Pistons approximately $14.7 million on the two years remaining on Gordon’s contract. He’s slated to make $25.6 million over the term of his deal. Maggette has $10.9 million left on an expiring contract.
I like this move for Charlotte — they needed scoring last year (and defense, and rebounding and…) and if nothing else Gordon can bring that. Given a green light Gordon will be a gunner.
Last season Gordon scored 12.5 points per game on 44.2 percent shooting (and 42.9 percent from three). He hasn’t been the same player the past couple of years. When really given a green light back in Chicago he averaged more than 20 points a game twice. He hasn’t been terribly efficient in recent years and it would be good if he improved there, but basically he can provide scoring to an offense that needed it.
Detroit wanted out of Gordon’s contract — the fans and organization were down on him — and the price essentially was to give up the protected first round pick next year. This was about the money. The Pistons do add Corey Maggette who could give them scoring if he stays healthy – the guy will draw fouls and scored 15 points a game for Charlotte when he played last year, but he shot just 37.3 percent. He’s not on the upswing of his career at age 32, but if he can give them a few points and minutes off the bench it’s a bonus. Just with his injury history Pistons fans should temper expectations.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20