Jun 26, 2012, 3:25 PM EST
Any NBA player with real championship aspirations has to see the Heat holding up the Larry O’Brien trophy and get motivated. Do you have any doubt that Kobe Bryant watched Game 5 then went to work out for a few hours?
Carmelo Anthony is doing the same and trying to get ready for the Olympics in London next month and he has dropped 12 pounds already, he told Marc Berman of the New York Post at the unveiling of the wax Carmelo at Madame Tussauds museum in Times Square.
No, I’m not making that last part up, there is now a wax image of ‘Melo in a room with New York sports heroes. What do you think that photo is?
Anyway, now that he’s got a statue and lost a few pounds (not of wax, of real weight), he thinks it’s his time to win a ring.
“I believe my time is coming,’’ Anthony said after posing with the statue with his wife La La at a press conference. “I’m a big believer in that. Whether this year or next year, I truly believe our time is coming. We’re going to keep playing for that.”
Carmelo and LeBron James are friends. He can see what it takes. Of course, what it really takes is a heavy commitment at both ends of the floor — you can’t just score you’ve got to defend. It takes not controlling the offense to score for yourself but to set up others and get the team offense flowing (remember all LeBron’s assists). It means taking on a new role for the team if that is what works (LeBron moving to the four).
Carmelo could do a lot worse than to follow LeBron’s lead. That wouldn’t make the Knicks title contenders, but it gets them a lot closer.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 6
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10