Jun 26, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT
Any NBA player with real championship aspirations has to see the Heat holding up the Larry O’Brien trophy and get motivated. Do you have any doubt that Kobe Bryant watched Game 5 then went to work out for a few hours?
Carmelo Anthony is doing the same and trying to get ready for the Olympics in London next month and he has dropped 12 pounds already, he told Marc Berman of the New York Post at the unveiling of the wax Carmelo at Madame Tussauds museum in Times Square.
No, I’m not making that last part up, there is now a wax image of ‘Melo in a room with New York sports heroes. What do you think that photo is?
Anyway, now that he’s got a statue and lost a few pounds (not of wax, of real weight), he thinks it’s his time to win a ring.
“I believe my time is coming,’’ Anthony said after posing with the statue with his wife La La at a press conference. “I’m a big believer in that. Whether this year or next year, I truly believe our time is coming. We’re going to keep playing for that.”
Carmelo and LeBron James are friends. He can see what it takes. Of course, what it really takes is a heavy commitment at both ends of the floor — you can’t just score you’ve got to defend. It takes not controlling the offense to score for yourself but to set up others and get the team offense flowing (remember all LeBron’s assists). It means taking on a new role for the team if that is what works (LeBron moving to the four).
Carmelo could do a lot worse than to follow LeBron’s lead. That wouldn’t make the Knicks title contenders, but it gets them a lot closer.
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 4
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 58
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights