Jun 26, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
No need to read the tea leaves to see if the Charlotte Bobcats are trying to trade the No. 2 pick.
Their new coach Mike Dunlap was pretty direct about it when speaking with the Associated Press — he said it “makes a lot of sense” for a team in Charlotte’s position to move down and get extra picks.
“I think anybody in our situation would have that on the board,” Dunlap said. “(Our) people are very smart up top. So options and thinking of your variables is a very smart thing to do.”
The buzz is the Bobcats have wanted to move down in the draft but not too far (not out of top 10), and they wanted a young player (ideally) or other good picks to make the move. A number of other teams seemed to balk at the prices being asked.
One rumored deal that makes sense is with Cleveland — the Cavaliers would send their No. 4 pick and No. 24 pick (or their early second rounders) for the No. 2 pick.
If the Bobcats really like Thomas Robinson and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist then the Cavaliers deal makes sense. Cleveland wants to jump up and get Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal at No. 2 because he will not fall past the Wizards at No. 3 (this trade would blow up the Wizards draft plans). If Beal goes No. 2 then Robinson or Kidd-Gilchrist have to drop to No. 4. So the Bobcats get their man and an additional pick or two.
And as they need all the help they can get, additional picks can’t hurt.
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 19
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12