Jun 26, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
No need to read the tea leaves to see if the Charlotte Bobcats are trying to trade the No. 2 pick.
Their new coach Mike Dunlap was pretty direct about it when speaking with the Associated Press — he said it “makes a lot of sense” for a team in Charlotte’s position to move down and get extra picks.
“I think anybody in our situation would have that on the board,” Dunlap said. “(Our) people are very smart up top. So options and thinking of your variables is a very smart thing to do.”
The buzz is the Bobcats have wanted to move down in the draft but not too far (not out of top 10), and they wanted a young player (ideally) or other good picks to make the move. A number of other teams seemed to balk at the prices being asked.
One rumored deal that makes sense is with Cleveland — the Cavaliers would send their No. 4 pick and No. 24 pick (or their early second rounders) for the No. 2 pick.
If the Bobcats really like Thomas Robinson and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist then the Cavaliers deal makes sense. Cleveland wants to jump up and get Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal at No. 2 because he will not fall past the Wizards at No. 3 (this trade would blow up the Wizards draft plans). If Beal goes No. 2 then Robinson or Kidd-Gilchrist have to drop to No. 4. So the Bobcats get their man and an additional pick or two.
And as they need all the help they can get, additional picks can’t hurt.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 20
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14