Jun 26, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
No need to read the tea leaves to see if the Charlotte Bobcats are trying to trade the No. 2 pick.
Their new coach Mike Dunlap was pretty direct about it when speaking with the Associated Press — he said it “makes a lot of sense” for a team in Charlotte’s position to move down and get extra picks.
“I think anybody in our situation would have that on the board,” Dunlap said. “(Our) people are very smart up top. So options and thinking of your variables is a very smart thing to do.”
The buzz is the Bobcats have wanted to move down in the draft but not too far (not out of top 10), and they wanted a young player (ideally) or other good picks to make the move. A number of other teams seemed to balk at the prices being asked.
One rumored deal that makes sense is with Cleveland — the Cavaliers would send their No. 4 pick and No. 24 pick (or their early second rounders) for the No. 2 pick.
If the Bobcats really like Thomas Robinson and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist then the Cavaliers deal makes sense. Cleveland wants to jump up and get Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal at No. 2 because he will not fall past the Wizards at No. 3 (this trade would blow up the Wizards draft plans). If Beal goes No. 2 then Robinson or Kidd-Gilchrist have to drop to No. 4. So the Bobcats get their man and an additional pick or two.
And as they need all the help they can get, additional picks can’t hurt.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 19
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 10
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 15
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months