Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose on NBA 2K13 cover

Jun 26, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT

NBA 2K13 cover

In the dog days of summer that are coming — after the NBA draft, after free agency winds down, after Summer League, after the Olympics — we will be left without basketball for a couple of months.

That’s when we end up thinking and playing a lot more NBA 2K12 and thinking about NBA 2K13.

To the right you see the new cover art for NBA 2K13 (via CSNChicago.com), which had gone away from the Jordan/retro thing of the last couple years and focuses now on the young stars — Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose. No Heat, no playing up that angle, they are looking to the future of the league.

Can’t wait to see what features they added to it this year, but I like idea of looking ahead, there are some great young stars in this league right now.

1. dgbk - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM

clyde drexler said if it wasnt for the torn acl. He will be on the cover over rose.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

LOL

• teehov843 - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM

LOL!! That’s a good one!

2. 00maltliquor - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I CAN’T WAIT!!! I’ve been playing 2K11 for close to two years now because last years lockout screwed over 2K putting the rookies on 2K12 so I never got it! I’ve got A LOT of catching up to do.

• teehov843 - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Yeah me too! I bought 2K12 and gave it away! Didn’t like it at all! So i have been playing 2K11 for 2 years. I hope 2K13 has some major improvements. If you play 2K11 on ps3, holla at me. PSN name is TEEHOVA

• 00maltliquor - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM

XBox360/ no online,xbox live.

And if you bought it, why would you give it away!?? You didn’t even try to sell it as used to a game store? Damn, you got some lucky ass friends to pick up after your scraps! lol

• pudgalvin - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I haven’t even played 2k12 yet. Too far along in my franchise to give it up. I’ll probably have to check this one out though.

• philadelphiafan - Jun 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Just so you know the updated rosters with 1st and 2nd round rookies came out a week after the regular season started.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Huh? FML! Wait, you mean they recalled all the old games and replaced them with the updated disc or did you have to upload them online? Cause if was online then it wouldn’t make a difference to me since I don’t have xbox live.

3. acdc363 - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM

They really couldn’t find a better picture of Blake dunking?

4. camnellum12 - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM

So far (the game isn’t done finishing), it looks like 2K12 with a paint job: http://youtu.be/YE-LDQa1Tdo

I also think it sucks that you have to buy the All-Star Weekend as a DLC.

• pudgalvin - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I don’t think that’s confirmed. They only thing they’ve said for sure is that you get it free if you preorder your copy.

• camnellum12 - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Well duh, it’s a pre-order, but if you really want sales to go up, All-Star Weekend should be mandatory, because those game mode are usually pretty fun. But 2K13’s slam dunk contest is lame as f*ck!

5. jengibre23 - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM

2k12 if you have the updated rosters is really fun and it seems like everyone goes to FA so you can stack your team every offseason. That’s what I did with my 76ers!

6. hannsta - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Hopefully they stop worrying aobut their photoshop work for the cover and start workin on fixing the blatant problems with their online content. Deffinitly the worst online functionality of any game since the 90’s. Its lucky when my freinds and I can finish a game without network issues. Love 2k but they majorlly need to stop patching 1pt on peoples jumpers and start adressing the real issues. Or how all rookies(after the first year) hot zones are all cold in association really limits how long i want to play an association for.

7. rocketsbb - Jun 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I have had nba live from 1997-2010 and I bought my first 2k game last year with nba 2k12. Live is so much better and hopefully they will start to make them again.

• camnellum12 - Jun 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I’m in the same boat with ya. Stupid TO’s and just sucky gameplay period, horrible animations, and sucky online servers is a garbage game.

• philadelphiafan - Jun 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM

LOL good one. 2k owns nba live. Why do you think NBA live doesnt exist anymore?

8. acdc363 - Jun 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM

@rocketsbb I believe NBA Live 2013 is coming out the same day as 2k13.

• camnellum12 - Jun 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM

It is, October 2nd

9. philadelphiafan - Jun 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Can’t wait for 2k13!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches