Jun 26, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
What was long rumored and expected is now official.
David Morway has resigned as the general manager of the Indiana Pacers and is leaving the organization, the team announced Tuesday. This is one of those “resign or we will can you” resignations, just so we’re clear.
This clears the way for Kevin Pritchard, the former Trail Blazers GM who has worked as an assistant GM with the Pacers the past year, to step into the big chair. That’s not official yet but it will be soon enough.
That’s not the only change in Indiana today — Larry Bird is stepping out as team president and Donnie Walsh is returning to take on that role again.
Usually these kinds of transitions are messy like a third-world government coup, but in this case the transition should be smooth. Which is good, the Pacers are a quality team — third best in the East last year — who could take some big steps forward with the right moves.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games