Jun 25, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
The party is still going on in Miami — they will be parading through downtown with the Larry O’Brien trophy on Monday and a whole lot of people are going to be “sick” from work to get down and be part of the festivities.
But in the Miami front office, there is no break. They likely will have five or six roster spots to fill for next season with guys like Ronny Turiaf, Dexter Pittman and others becoming free agents (I do not think Mike Miller is going to retire and leave $13 million on the table). Tweaking the roster starts with the draft on Thursday (No. 27 pick) and then their real work beings when free agency opens on Sunday.
Who are the Heat expected to target in free agency? Just about everyone, especially centers and knockdown shooters.
You know they will approach Ray Allen and Jason Terry. The Heat want a more traditional point guard so Steve Nash and Andre Miller will get a call. They need a big and Chris Kaman and Jermaine O’Neal are out there. They’ll probably even call Grant Hill.
But it comes with a catch — Miami has the mini mid-level of $3 million for one of those guys and after that it’s veteran minimum deals.
So, who wants to take a big pay cut to chase a ring? Shane Battier did that last year and after a lackluster season he stepped up big in the finals.
Nash has talked about wanting a ring, would he go to Miami… where they already have a couple serious ball handlers in LeBron James and Dwyane Wade? Would Allen become Public Enemy No. 1 in Boston and jump to the Heat? Not sure I see either of those, and the buzz is Andre Miller wants to get paid. You can question everyone on that list.
But know that Pat Riley is going to use his “come win a ring” sales pitch on everyone he thinks could help. And someone key is going to say yes.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 0
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21