Jun 25, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
The party is still going on in Miami — they will be parading through downtown with the Larry O’Brien trophy on Monday and a whole lot of people are going to be “sick” from work to get down and be part of the festivities.
But in the Miami front office, there is no break. They likely will have five or six roster spots to fill for next season with guys like Ronny Turiaf, Dexter Pittman and others becoming free agents (I do not think Mike Miller is going to retire and leave $13 million on the table). Tweaking the roster starts with the draft on Thursday (No. 27 pick) and then their real work beings when free agency opens on Sunday.
Who are the Heat expected to target in free agency? Just about everyone, especially centers and knockdown shooters.
You know they will approach Ray Allen and Jason Terry. The Heat want a more traditional point guard so Steve Nash and Andre Miller will get a call. They need a big and Chris Kaman and Jermaine O’Neal are out there. They’ll probably even call Grant Hill.
But it comes with a catch — Miami has the mini mid-level of $3 million for one of those guys and after that it’s veteran minimum deals.
So, who wants to take a big pay cut to chase a ring? Shane Battier did that last year and after a lackluster season he stepped up big in the finals.
Nash has talked about wanting a ring, would he go to Miami… where they already have a couple serious ball handlers in LeBron James and Dwyane Wade? Would Allen become Public Enemy No. 1 in Boston and jump to the Heat? Not sure I see either of those, and the buzz is Andre Miller wants to get paid. You can question everyone on that list.
But know that Pat Riley is going to use his “come win a ring” sales pitch on everyone he thinks could help. And someone key is going to say yes.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 8
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 5
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 6
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10