Jun 25, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
Andre Drummond is one of the big questions — or if you prefer, big risks — of this NBA Draft. He could be the second best player in this draft, or he could flame out like a late second rounder.
One good measuring stick — what do his college teammates say about him?
UConn G Jeremy Lamb on UConn C Andre Drummond’s NBA potential: “It depends on if he wants to work.”
And that sums it up.
But does he want it? He was the most athletic big on the floor every night last year in college and averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds a game. You can tout him as losing 22 pounds after the end of the season and before workouts — a lot of guys tighten up physically — but why didn’t he make that conditioning a priority before.
He could be very good. I hope he is. But the reports out of his workouts have not been good and no even his teammates seem to have questions. There are risks.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 49
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 46
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7