Jun 25, 2012, 11:24 PM EST
Andre Drummond is one of the big questions — or if you prefer, big risks — of this NBA Draft. He could be the second best player in this draft, or he could flame out like a late second rounder.
One good measuring stick — what do his college teammates say about him?
UConn G Jeremy Lamb on UConn C Andre Drummond’s NBA potential: “It depends on if he wants to work.”
And that sums it up.
But does he want it? He was the most athletic big on the floor every night last year in college and averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds a game. You can tout him as losing 22 pounds after the end of the season and before workouts — a lot of guys tighten up physically — but why didn’t he make that conditioning a priority before.
He could be very good. I hope he is. But the reports out of his workouts have not been good and no even his teammates seem to have questions. There are risks.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14