Jun 25, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
The Minnesota Timberwolves are a young team on the rise. They are a couple pieces away, but you can see a path for them the same way you saw a path three years ago for the Thunder.
Does Brandon Roy move them down that path?
According to ESPN 1150 the Timberwolves brass think so — KAHN! — and they are about to make him a two-year offer (they can’t do that right now, likely after July 11).
According to two league sources, the Wolves plan on making the three-time All-Star a two-year contract offer. The money is unknown….
While still a clear injury concern, he is training hard in his hometown of Seattle to make a comeback. Roy is free to sign anywhere at anytime, not held to the traditional NBA free agency rules.
Interesting. The money could sway things. I have two questions.
First, how does Roy — a three time All-Star and former Rookie of the Year — the point guard work into the system with Ricky Rubio? Does Roy serve as his backup point? Does he work off the ball? With a lot of teams I’d be more concerned about this, with the Timberwolves having Rick Adelman as coach I think they could find a fit in his corner offense.
The real gamble, especially with a two-year deal, is Roy and his knees. This is a guy amnestied and who retired because there is no cartilage left. That doesn’t suddenly grow back (even with a year off). He can look great in workouts, but how will he look at game 50 of the regular season? You have to limit his minutes and rest him, and even then, what about during the second round of the playoffs?
At the right money, it might be a good gamble for the Timberwolves. But it is a gamble, make no mistake.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32