Jun 25, 2012, 8:35 PM EST
The Minnesota Timberwolves are a young team on the rise. They are a couple pieces away, but you can see a path for them the same way you saw a path three years ago for the Thunder.
Does Brandon Roy move them down that path?
According to ESPN 1150 the Timberwolves brass think so — KAHN! — and they are about to make him a two-year offer (they can’t do that right now, likely after July 11).
According to two league sources, the Wolves plan on making the three-time All-Star a two-year contract offer. The money is unknown….
While still a clear injury concern, he is training hard in his hometown of Seattle to make a comeback. Roy is free to sign anywhere at anytime, not held to the traditional NBA free agency rules.
Interesting. The money could sway things. I have two questions.
First, how does Roy — a three time All-Star and former Rookie of the Year — the point guard work into the system with Ricky Rubio? Does Roy serve as his backup point? Does he work off the ball? With a lot of teams I’d be more concerned about this, with the Timberwolves having Rick Adelman as coach I think they could find a fit in his corner offense.
The real gamble, especially with a two-year deal, is Roy and his knees. This is a guy amnestied and who retired because there is no cartilage left. That doesn’t suddenly grow back (even with a year off). He can look great in workouts, but how will he look at game 50 of the regular season? You have to limit his minutes and rest him, and even then, what about during the second round of the playoffs?
At the right money, it might be a good gamble for the Timberwolves. But it is a gamble, make no mistake.
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 0
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 23
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 10
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)