Jun 25, 2012, 12:14 AM EDT
This really shouldn’t really be a surprise — ever since Daryl Morey took over as general manager of the Rockets they have been one of the more active teams on draft day.
Right now they pick No. 14 but they want to move up, according to ESPN.
Sources say that Houston has discussed deals with several teams in the top 10 about moving up in the draft. And the Rockets might have found two willing partners.
Although sources stressed that no deal is imminent, Sacramento (No. 5) and Toronto (No. 8) have let Houston know that their top-10 selections are available. Sources say that the Rockets, in turn, have made both of their first-round picks available (No. 14 and No. 16), but the key to any trade going through could be point guard Kyle Lowry.
The Kings have been rumored to be shopping their pick around.
If the Rockets can re-sign Goran Dragic they can afford to move Lowry, although Lowry was a borderline All-Star player until he was injured last year.
What’s interesting is ESPN reports the Rockets are after big man Andre Drummond, one of the biggest gambles in this draft. He’s a guy who could turn out to be a Serge Ibaka or maybe even poor-man’s Andrew Bynum in the paint, he has that level of skill, but he’s had serious questions about his drive and passion. He has not impressed in many workouts, according to reports. But if Morey takes him and gets a hit, he may have the second best player in this draft. But it is a big risk.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 0
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 53
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 11
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14