Jun 25, 2012, 12:14 AM EDT
This really shouldn’t really be a surprise — ever since Daryl Morey took over as general manager of the Rockets they have been one of the more active teams on draft day.
Right now they pick No. 14 but they want to move up, according to ESPN.
Sources say that Houston has discussed deals with several teams in the top 10 about moving up in the draft. And the Rockets might have found two willing partners.
Although sources stressed that no deal is imminent, Sacramento (No. 5) and Toronto (No. 8) have let Houston know that their top-10 selections are available. Sources say that the Rockets, in turn, have made both of their first-round picks available (No. 14 and No. 16), but the key to any trade going through could be point guard Kyle Lowry.
The Kings have been rumored to be shopping their pick around.
If the Rockets can re-sign Goran Dragic they can afford to move Lowry, although Lowry was a borderline All-Star player until he was injured last year.
What’s interesting is ESPN reports the Rockets are after big man Andre Drummond, one of the biggest gambles in this draft. He’s a guy who could turn out to be a Serge Ibaka or maybe even poor-man’s Andrew Bynum in the paint, he has that level of skill, but he’s had serious questions about his drive and passion. He has not impressed in many workouts, according to reports. But if Morey takes him and gets a hit, he may have the second best player in this draft. But it is a big risk.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11